Used CVT fluid in a power steering application

Hello,
I did a drain and refill of my Maxima 09 CVT with Nissan NS2 CVT fluid.
I got 5 quarts out, fluid wasn't bad, relatively clean, since I had a drain and fill about a year and a half ago.

Now the Odyssey 04 (our beater) is leaking PS fluid. Due to many reasons, I am not tempted to fix the whole system and just keeping an eye into it and check and top it every week to 10 days. I'm tired of buying ps fluid for it.

Theoretically, can I top the PS reservoir with the used CVT fluid? I remember I read somewhere here that CVT fluid has many properties close to the Honda PS fluid.

Thanks

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Hello,
I got 5 quarts out, fluid wasn't bad, relatively clean, since I had a drain and fill about a year and a half ago.

Now the Odyssey 04 (our beater) is leaking PS fluid. Due to many reasons, I am not tempted to fix the whole system and just keeping an eye into it and check and top it every week to 10 days. I'm tired of buying ps fluid for it.

Theoretically, can I top the PS reservoir with the used CVT fluid? I remember I read somewhere here that CVT fluid has many properties close to the Honda PS fluid.

Thanks

Absolutely not because CVT fluids contain traction additives that would be detrimental to the pump and rack components.

Last edited:
I don't know about theory but in practice I know of trw steering pumps that speced Dexron III with hundreds of thousands of miles using 15W-40 HDEO. Makes me think the fluid is not particularly critical.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Hello,

Thanks

Absolutely not because CVT fluids contain traction additives that would be detrimental to the pump and rack components.

This 100%.....^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Traction coefficient vs coefficient of friction is likely close to totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

I share the information I have learned from Dr. Molakule about the difference between ATF fluids and CVT fluids... It is great to have someone one here with his expertise and tremendous knowledge base.

Originally Posted by Gene K
I don't know about theory but in practice I know of trw steering pumps that speced Dexron III with hundreds of thousands of miles using 15W-40 HDEO. Makes me think the fluid is not particularly critical.

Each fluid type and fluid application has a different additive package and contains different Friction Modifier and AW chemistry for the specific materials used in the various automatic transmissions (Step-Shift or CVT) and power steering systems.

Why stop at a 15 cSt fluid? Why not put in a 75W140 Gear Oil of 37 cSt?

It is totally ridiculous to put a 15 cSt engine oil in a system that is designed a 7.5 cSt ATF.

While it may be a practice under some shade trees it is a not a good or Preferred Practice.

Last edited:
Back