used car shopping, looking for opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy a new one. They are practically giving you the money for free. (low rate financing) Not to mention long warranty, free oil changes, you are the one breaking in the engine (not a throttle happy teenager) - buying a late model used car is nuts right now.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Well if it was me spending that much time on the road I would want something a little bigger for more safety and comfort. So instead of a corolla I would rather have a camry. I found a 2013 CPO asking 15K. Or how about something like a chevy impala or something like that? Or if you want more room to carry stuff how about a used subaru forester or outback?

This.

I wouldn't be very happy spending that much time on the road in a small car, especially coming from an SUV like a Durango. I'd be looking at cars like the Camry, Accord, Impala, Taurus, etc.

From your list I'd be looking at the Honda and VW myself.

Considering the yearly mileage I would mention that neither the 2.0 or 2.5 in the Jetta does that well on fuel, and the 2.0 "S" model price leaders don't have cruise control and it is a bit of a pain to add. I would strike the "S" model off the list. If you can find a well cared for TDI with records in your price range or swing a new one.

Not clear if you are considering the Jetta Sportwagen, but if not... I'd add that (TDI) to the list.

I'd say you are unlikely to have any issues with a well cared for Civic. Ours has had two batteries, an engine light which there was a bulletin on, and is waiting on parts for an airbag recall in 130,000 miles and nearly 10 years life. Pretty good I say.

There is also an SFE package for the Focus that is rated over 40mpg.

I agree that you are close to new car prices and money is so cheap on new cars, it could well make sense to look that way.

A good friend of mine just traded in his Honda Fit; went with a Subaru Outback (his life has changed dramatically this past year).

He LOVED his Fit in every way. Was going to run it well over 200k, until he went through these changes.

If you have a tool box, I'd also highly recommend the CRV. Looks like they are capable of mid 20s on the hwy.

Last edited:
Also, depending on whether you're paying in CASH or financing! The interest rates are higher on pre owned vehicles than on many NEW vehicles, therefore bringing the payments very close to one another! Which is why many people are buying new. And if you have poor credit, this will also determine the interest rate(s).

No bad car in proposals although the VW may not be a 250k-300k car that is cheap to run. My personal opinion and experience with friends are they are 50/50.

30k/year is very easy on a car.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Well if it was me spending that much time on the road I would want something a little bigger for more safety and comfort. So instead of a corolla I would rather have a camry. I found a 2013 CPO asking 15K. Or how about something like a chevy impala or something like that? Or if you want more room to carry stuff how about a used subaru forester or outback?

In the same vein, upgrade from Civic to Accord.

I just went through the same thinking. I just traded my '04 Rainier for a '12 Accord(48k miles) last week. I paid 15k and they gave me $3,300 for trade with 155k miles. 2.99% apr. I went with the Honda vs. Toyota since it's a little sportier. The most amazing thing to me is it is larger inside than the Buick...even the trunk holds more. If I need to carry something I'll rent a truck or load up the E-450.

Here's my thought process:

I drive 40-50k miles a year...I would like something comfortable and reliable with good gas mileage with low maintenance.
Going from 20 mpg to 33 mpg will save me $3450/yr in fuel @$3.06/gal
Much better safety from ''04 to '12 with ESC and more airbags.
No DI, no turbo in the Accord and they've worked out their A/T issues(looked for a manual but hard to find).
People say that the Accord is noisy but switching from a body on frame SUV its like a vault, not to mention better suspension. It could use more suspension rebound damping but Koni FSD's should fix that.

Using the comparison tool at fueleconomy.gov , switching from your '02 Durango to a '12 Camry 4cyl will save you about $3250/year in fuel @30kmiles/year 20% city driving.

Is there a history of maintenance on the Durango's transmission? Has the ATF ever been changed on it?

You're positive you can live with the night/day difference between going from something like a Durango to a Corolla/Civic?

I do really like the looks of the latest Corolla. Between your $11-14K, ~$2K cash and trade equity of the Durango, you should be able to get a new Corolla.

Wow thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely look at some new cars but I don't have the best credit. Not terrible but it has a few dings.

I had an 09 Scion XB which is rated as one of the most reliable cars out there plus they have a lot of room for hauling and have a great back seat capacity and I could average around 28mpg. I recently traded it in on a new 14 Corolla that I love and getting a 38 mpg average. I`ve been trading in every 4-5 years to get a good equity toward my new purchase and pay the balance in cash. The Honda Fit would be a serious look also if I were you. Even though I love my new Corolla I kind of wish I went for the Fit for it`s hauling cargo capacity.

JTK,

Yep. Toyota did a great job redesigning the Corolla. I'm not too crazy about the front bumper, other that than its a nice car. My niece got one recently and the interior is nicer than a Civic.

I second the opinion to look new, in particular year end models, since the used car market remains inflated. That said, with patience and due diligence, I'm sure there may be exceptions in the current market.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Mazda 3 hatchback
Honda Fit / Civic
Corolla

I agree here that a new Mazda3 hatch would be a good option. Fun to drive with utility plus great gas mileage.

I'll proffer an outlier here, what about a used Honda TSX from model year 2004-2008? A proven performer with luxury accommodations and a bulletproof drivetrain, not to mention classic styling.

Keep us updated and good luck!

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Wow thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely look at some new cars but I don't have the best credit. Not terrible but it has a few dings.

That's not going to knock you out of the game. Remember, when you visit the showroom floor, they want you to leave in a new car, so they will bend over backwards to get you in one. Just be sure to do your math and take into account all the variables, (new verse used, warranty, etc). Not to mention the fun of driving a new car that is all yours from day one.

Be sure and visit several dealerships - get them bidding against each other. If they're a good place, they will print you an offer which you can carry to another dealership to show them as a bargaining chip.

Best of luck to you
smile.gif

Also I'd like to add that I start these threads because of my undiagnosed ocd after doing so much research that my head spins circles and I'm afraid of making a bad purchase. It's nerve racking lol.

LOL, you came to the right place.

I don't know much about the other cars in your list, but on the Jetta, I wouldn't get the 2.0 if it isn't a manual. It has the right gearing as a 5 speed, but the auto will sap its already lacking power.

The 2.5 would be fine as an automatic. Reliability for both engines have been good, but neither are top picks for fuel economy.

Get prequalified or they'll eat you alive!

Let them talk you into financing you if you really are PQ'd, BUT AT A LOWER SALE PRICE. Even if you get a usurious interest rate, you can refi with the bank that prequalified you to begin with. Check your paperwork for a prepayment penalty of course.

Wait until after Thanksgiving and figure out what you want. Than bid 4-6 dealers off each other.

I bet pretty quickly you will get a good price, as the fiscal year starts to wind up, and the 15's start to fill the lots. Remember around the holidays is the slowest time for auto sales, no one has any money or is in the mood. Spring is the worst time to buy since everyone is rich with their tax checks.

Last edited:
Liking the scion xb with the camry powertrain but I can't find on in my price range. My Toyota dealership has new ones starting at 20k, 1 used with 33k miles for 15.5k. A wagon or crossover like the xb sure would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back