US-Made drill bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Who makes them?

At HD, all are chinese except Ridgid which claims to be packaged in the USA of domestic and foreign components...

To me that means that the bits are made in China, cryo treated somewhere between there and here, then put into plastic packages here.

I really dont want to buy Chinese stuff.

And, the Ridgid bits didnt seem to hold their edge as well, though they claim to be fast cutting (in metal, no less, which was what I was drilling), compared to my black and gold colored bits.

And I want to just be able to buy one or two sizes as needed.

Are McMaster bits US made? It seems that their tools generally are.

Thanks!

Couldn't find any US ones
frown.gif
The Snap-on (Blue Point) ones are Chinese.

Found German ones though:

http://www.fine-tools.com/spiralbohrer.html

PLENTY of selection there for all drilling types.

Good stuff, used the link and found Kodiak, who sells drills cheaper than HD Chinese stuff it seems!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Who makes them?

Precision Twist drill out of Crystal Lake, IL is possibly the nations largest manufacturer of drill bits for industry, and they have a good reputation.

Chicago Latrobe & Cleveland are still made in the U.S., although they are now owned by a Chinese company.

There are many other American manufacturers such as Morse and Michigan Drill, but they will mostly be found through industrial distributors.

Quote:
Are McMaster bits US made? It seems that their tools generally are.

McMaster Carr is a distributor, and they probably have many choices of American and foreign sources of cutting tools, as most all industrial distributors will. Keep in mind that when I say foreign sources, there are high quality tools coming out of Germany and Japan for example, as well as the cheap tools coming out of China.

If you can find a local industrial distributor who will work with walk-in, counter-sale type business, you may find better quality and better prices than your local hardware store. You will however, find they mostly do business M-F 8-5 and that may be inconvenient for you.

The most common standard drill bit is HSS jobbers length with a 118° point. Many split point drills are 135°, but are less common in HSS.

If you have a business card, you may be able to go to Grainger or Fastenal and find US made bits. Like most items, the USA made stuff will be better quality; but will that justify the higher price? I use the rule that if I can see needing it for more than one or two jobs, I buy USA (if it's available); if a one-shot then I take a chance on HF. The one area where I won't follow the rule is for hand tools. I don't want any more scars on my hands from cheap tools breaking on me.

Lee Valley sells fine tools. Never bought anything from them I wasn't satisfied with. Their drill bits are avail in sets as well as individually and they're made of HSS (high-speed steel) instead of HCS (high carbon steel). The former holds an edge much better when drilling metal. I'd recommend using oil to aid in heat & chip removal.

Or you may want to step up to drills made of cobalt steel.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32241&cat=1,180,42240

A&M Industrial Supply
1414 Campbell St.
Rahway, NJ 07065
732-574-1111

B & B Tool Supply Corp.
421 Nelson Ave.
Cliffside Park, NJ 07010
201-313-9021

Metro Industrial Supply, Inc.
200 Charles St.
Garfield, NJ 07026-1238