US Electrical Power Production Sources vs World Sources

I came across these two pie charts describing the electrical power sources in the USA and the source total for the world. Interesting that nuclear is ahead in the USA vs the world. Of course coal is most prevalent the the world and natural gas is second, a situation that is almost reversed in America. The first one is for the world. Enjoy.

8AE7E674-6042-467D-A5DB-24CE3A7F7FD3.jpeg
EC6F618A-A1BA-478E-8D7D-00EDB36BCE28.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow from what you hear in the news I would have thought our solar and wind percentages would have been higher. I would comment more but no doubt it would become political very quickly!

For round figures fossil fuels make up 60% of electricity generation both in the world and in the US. There is a long, long way to go before fossil fuel useage in the production of electricity nears zero.

That may not be accurate. The situation is complex and when renewables are down, inefficient methods like "peaker plants" crank up. So, the renewables actually produce much less when compared what the fuel use would be without them.

Furthermore, that may be nameplate capacity. Jupiter, FL has 4.7 hours of solar insolation per day, annualized. So the daily production peak is not sustained.

That may not be accurate. The situation is complex and when renewables are down, inefficient methods like "peaker plants" crank up. So, the renewables actually produce much less when compared what the fuel use would be without them.

Furthermore, that may be nameplate capacity. Jupiter, FL has 4.7 hours of solar insolation per day, annualized. So the daily production peak is not sustained.
The pie chart for the US seems to align with what the EIA reported out for 2022 net electricity generation. So I don't believe the US pie chart is name plate generation and is actual generation. Can't speak for the worldwide chart.

For round figures fossil fuels make up 60% of electricity generation both in the world and in the US. There is a long, long way to go before fossil fuel useage in the production of electricity nears zero.
Yeah its gonna take a while to get to a fully renewable grid but the US is mostly adding renewable only at this point. 96% of the electrical generation capacity added in 2023 was renewable. (https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=61424) Although, that includes grid scale battery capacity.

Back