Upgrade XP/Vista to Windows 10 FREE also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd....mine did not go as planned...thank you guys for the back back advice...

Checked everything over-followed directions. Got stuck at product key, and that was it. Not sure if it was me, or the computer itself....
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Checked everything over-followed directions. Got stuck at product key, and that was it. Not sure if it was me, or the computer itself....
frown.gif

I think it must have been you( no offense meant ). Sounds like where you failed was at activating the 10130 build during the manual product key entry and activation. Let's see if I can help you get it done...?

Do you have full Administrator rights for the system you tried this on( you need it )? Did you enter the product key code exactly as the walk through showed complete with the blank spaces( use space bar )and dashes( - )between the number sequences? The 1st time I tried to do the manual product code entry and activation I missed the blank spaces and failed. You didn't hit backspace and remove the text already in place when the Admin Command Prompt opened did you? That needs to be there.

Anyway, let's give it a try. I will use some of the walk through images and I will add some of my own. The following assumes you have already successfully installed 10130, you looked and it is NOT activated, and that after hitting the Activate button it prompts you to download the newest version of Windows 10 instead of allowing you to enter the generic product key. If so then...

Step 1:
Right click on the Windows Start button( lower left corner ), select Command Prompt (Admin), and then click YES at the User Account prompt asking if you want to allow the APP to make changes.

Step 2:
In the Administrator Command Prompt panel that opens enter the following line of text EXACTLY as it appears below( including the two blank spaces and four - )and press ENTER. If done correctly a box will appear notifying you that you have correctly installed the product key - click OK.

slmgr /ipk 6P99N-YF42M-TPGBG-9VMJP-YKHCF

NOTE - DO NOT remove the C:\Windows\system32> text that is already prepopulated in the Administrator Command Prompt panel when it opens. Enter the text line w/ product key code above after the default text already present. This tells it where to place the information you are entering. If you remove it the process will fail. So you should see the following when properly entered...

C:\Windows\system32>slmgr /ipk 6P99N-YF42M-TPGBG-9VMJP-YKHCF

After clicking OK a new command line will appear below the product key line you just entered in the Administrator Command Prompt panel. At the C:\Windows\system32> line enter the following( including the one blank space )and then press ENTER. If done correctly a box will appear notifying you that you have successfully activated the product - click OK.

slmgr /ato

NOTE - when properly entered it will appear like this...

C:\Windows\system32>slmgr /ipk 6P99N-YF42M-TPGBG-9VMJP-YKHCF
C:\Windows\system32>slmgr /ato

Once you have successfully entered the product key code and activated the product you may close the Administrator Command Prompt panel.

Step 3:
Verify that your 10130 build is now activated. Right click the Windows Start button and select System. Look to the bottom of the System window under Windows activation - it should now say Windows is activated.

I know this is just a rehash of the walk through but maybe I have added something you missed. Give it a try and hopefully this works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I'm posting to give big thanks to NHHEMI. I upgraded two Dell Inspiron 530 with windows vista to windows 10 last night. Once I upgraded the first computer and had two USB flashdrives done, the second vista upgrade took 1 hour 30 minutes. I have a vista HP laptop and a XP compaq presario, I will try those upgrades next. I gotta rush since starting 10/2/15 the upgrade won't work.

11.gif

Yeah, having the USB sticks already done up before hand with the 10130 and newest Windows 10 iso's makes it go a lot quicker.

daves87rs said:

frown.gif
[/quotel]

The activation key code is case sensitive for some reason. slmgr has to be lower case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back