Upgrade XP/Vista to Windows 10 FREE also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: asand1
To be clear I upgraded the XP machine with a quad core 3.8g CPU and 4g ddr3 system while running Linux. This upgrade does not take you current OS into consideration at all.

The case, PSU, and HDD is all that's left of the original XP machine.

Is the product key valid, or activated? I forgot the term they use. Thanks.

The product key( in how to link )is a generic one that works with the 10130 version of Windows10. The 10130 is like a beta version and it takes the place of a previous version of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 when using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to upgrade to the newest version of Windows10. It is the loop hole so to speak that let's you do the free upgrade to Windows10 that is offered for Windows 7 and 8/8.1 on XP and Vista.

I will shoot you a PM with all the links to do it. Just make sure your system meets the minimum requirements for Windows10 before trying it...

Minimum System Requirements: ( from Microsoft Windows10 FAQ )
Processor - 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor
RAM - 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space - 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card - DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display - 800x600

Last edited:
Just finished a three hour (queue up Gilligan's Island theme) install on my wife's Dell Insperon 570 that shipped with 7, but has been running Linux Mint 17. Had to remove a dial up modem card to stop a fault message and allow the install to start.

Just a quick note...

Activate the 10130 version prior to attempting to upgrade to the Pro version. The Pro version will not accept the product code in the http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-xpvista-%e2%86%92-windows-10-free-upgrade/ page.

Switched from XP to Win 10 on a very old Dell Inspiron laptop. So far it seems to work as well as the XP version. I like the clean flat interface.

The battery indicates that is at 0% charge. Haven't had a chance to physically inspect the charge amount to see if it's a software glitch of not recognizing the battery status.

I've tried to go to that page, and avast keeps blocking it as malware.

Also wonder how large of a USB drive I would need...got a couple 1gb here right now....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I've tried to go to that page, and avast keeps blocking it as malware.

Also wonder how large of a USB drive I would need...got a couple 1gb here right now....

Disable Avast, and you'll need 4gb minimum flash drive. I used a writable DVD with no problems.

I did it on an old Vista box I had laying around. I installed build 10130, activated it, then tried to install the pro version and activate it and I wasn't successful. It told me to go the the Windows store. I must have messed something up along the way. I'll play around with it later tonight if I have time.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I did it on an old Vista box I had laying around. I installed build 10130, activated it, then tried to install the pro version and activate it and I wasn't successful. It told me to go the the Windows store. I must have messed something up along the way. I'll play around with it later tonight if I have time.

Explained this to ^^^ in a PM but want to add it here too as others have run into the same problem. You have to do this upgrade to an old XP/Vista system in a very specific way.

1 - Install 10130 as a "clean install". Make sure you remove all old files and partitions on the hard drive when prompted. Don't leave anything behind. Just make sure you have a copy of your XP/Vista OS to reload if Windows10 won't run on your system! Once 10130 is installed you have to manually activate it using the product code/key given earlier and that is also in the Walk Thru link. Once 10130 is installed and activated proceed to step 2 but ONLY after install/activation!.

2 - Use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to perform an upgrade to the newest version of Windows10. DO NOT do it as a clean install. You MUST do it as an upgrade! The reason is you will not have a product code/key to enter as the generic one for 10130 only works with 10130 when entered manually.

The newest version of Windows10( which is the free upgrade from Microsoft - not the 10130 which is an old beta )looks for a previously installed, genuine and eligible, version of Windows and once it finds it, it automatically activates itself. You do not activate it. Technically the only eligible previous versions for this free upgrade from Microsoft are supposed to be Windows 7 and 8/8.1 but the 10130 beta works too( until it expires on October 2nd ). If you try and do a clean install at this point you wipe out the previous genuine and eligible version of Windows used for activation and it will fail.

So in short you install 10130 as a clean install, manually activate it with the generic product code/key, then perform an upgrade( not a clean install = upgrade )using the Media Creation tool to get the newest version of Windows10 and it will activate itself manually by searching for a previous genuine and eligible version of Windows( 10130 ).

Once the newest version of Windows10 has installed and automatically activated using the Media Creation Tool go and see if it gives you a product code/key . If so write it down and save it for future use. With a new code/key you could do a clean install at that point.

Hope this is clear.

EDIT - also, make sure that you download and install the correct versions of 10130 and the Media Creation Tool for your system. Use the correct one( 32 bit or 64 bit ).

Last edited:
Thanks NHHEMI,

I copied your post to a personal file then print it to use as reference/instruction to upgrade Windows-XP to Windows-10 this weekend.

One thing I'm not sure is my cheap Dell Vostro 1000 laptop has enough disk space for the upgrade. Also, I am not sure I have a 4gb USB drive, I do have a 2gb.

It looks like Microsoft caught on to people doing this and they added something to the updates that are downloaded automatically during install of the 10130.iso file that keep it from automatically activating. The 10130 beta is still able to be installed and run until Oct 2nd, it just won't activate which is needed to upgrade to the newest version of Windows 10.

However, the walk through has been updated with a work around that is supposed to make everything still work? I am attempting it now on a Vista system and will update this thread once complete and let everyone know if this can still be done or not. Stay tuned...

The work around was successful and I was able to activate the 10130.iso after install. I am now upgrading to the newest version of Windows 10. I will update again after that finishes installing and then activates.

Stay tuned...

Success! I upgraded the Vista system to 10130 and then the newest version of Windows 10 and it is activated.

I will post more details later tonight so those who want to try this will still have time.

All done and everything works and is activated.
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Now, back to the changes needed to do this. As I said above, Microsoft caught on to all of this I guess and they have disabled the automatic activation for the 10130 beta( something gets downloaded during install I have read that stops you from being able to activate it without some extra work ).

Originally, after 10130 was installed you went to the system location where it shows the activation status and clicked on activate and then entered the generic product code/key which would then lead to it activating. Now, when you click on activate it prompts you to download the newest version of windows instead which takes away the ability to enter the generic product code/key and thus your ability to activate 10130 and ultimately upgrade to the newest version of Windows 10.

However, the link with the walk through on this has been updated with some manual steps to activate the 10130 beta and thus allow you to proceed with the free upgrade to the newest version of windows 10. I used the new updated walk through to upgrade an older Dell Inspiron with Vista and it worked perfectly. I am actually using that computer to post this( testing things out before I give it back to the owner ).

Everything still works spot on in the walk through link and as said it now has updates to account for Microsoft trying to shut this down. I highly recommend if you want to try this that you follow the instructions in the link TO THE LETTER. Do that and it should work no problem for you. This is the 3rd system I have done now with Vista. Haven't done an XP one yet and may not have time before it expires but it does work on Vista.

Use this link and follow it to the letter...
Upgrade XP/Vista To Windows 10 Free

Couple notes for you...

1. - The walk through makes mention of this happening but I found it happened at more places than claimed and at times in different places. You are going to get quite a few popup like windows during installation of the 10130.iso that basically says this version of Windows 10 is about to expire. Just ignore it and click close/cancel. Any time it comes up close it out and continue on with the step by step instructions from the walk through.

NOTE - during the manual entry of the product code/key and then manual activation process you have to type some info into a command prompt. PAY ATTENTION to the walk through and what is shown. There are spaces that have to be entered. Not under scores( _ )but blank spaces using your space bar. It will not work unless you enter the info EXACTLY as it is shown in the walk through. You also enter the dashes( - )in the generic product code/key. Just look close and enter the spaces and dashes where it is shown.

2. - This time I did the entire thing start to finish without creating/logging into a Microsoft profile. You do not have to have one for this to work and for it all to activate. You can elect to skip this step in each installation( 10130, upgrade to newest, and clean install of newest )and it will still activate. I read somewhere that for the activation of the upgrade and clean install to work you had to log into/create a Microsoft account during install when prompted. The walk through dispels this but I missed it before today.

3. - I decided to do a clean install off a USB after doing the upgrade on this system. On the previous installs I just left it as is after upgrading over the 10130 beta. I wanted to see if there would be any activation issues doing a clean install over the upgrade to the newest version? Wanted to know if it will activate or not without a product code/key to use? Even though you get a code/key when the upgrade activates it is not one that will work if you ever have to enter it manually.

So, I took the plunge and did a clean install after the upgrade was done and shown as activated. Works like a charm and activated with no hassle. One note though, 2-3 times, at least, during the install it asked me to enter the product code/key off the packaging( i.e. like I had bought Windows 10 on a disk at the store ). Obviously that isn't something I have the ability to enter. I was nervous but just kept ignoring it( not now, do later, etc... )and let it finish installing. When it was done I went to the system area showing activation and it showed it was activated.

And remember, come October 2nd, the 10130 beta will no longer work so get to it if you want to do this. Hope this new info helps.

Last edited:
Debating this myself....have it fired and ready to go, but I talked to someone also doing this with Vista, and it was not successful. Want to bite, but don't have any way to go back, as I no longer have the Vista disk...

I still use both Computers, so I am in debate....

Debating this myself....have it fired and ready to go, but I talked to someone also doing this with Vista, and it was not successful. Want to bite, but don't have any way to go back, as I no longer have the Vista disk...

If you have an external HDD, second HDD, or thumb drive in the computer you can download for free Clonezilla or Redo Back up and Restore and create an image of the computer with the old OS. If you're unsuccessful with the Win 10 install or don't like it you can always revert back to the OS, apps, and settings you currently have. The only thing is the current OS must be operating properly since any issues will be in the image and restored with that image.

You can use cloning software to copy your hard drive as it sits as mentioned ^^^. Another option might be available to you too. If you have Vista on it there should be a recovery partition that will reset it to the factory image without the need for the OS disc. Open My Computer( or whatever you call it on your machine )and see if you see this( drive letters vary so look for one that says RECOVERY )...

If you see it then you can use it to reinstall your Vista system to factory fresh if you have issues with Windows 10. To use the recovery partition you( might be different for you but this is how I have always done it - multiple systems )...

1. - Save anything you do not want to lose( files, e-mail addresses, etc... )
2. - Shut the computer down
3. - Disconnect everything from the computer except for the monitor, mouse, and keyboard( printers, USB drives, etc... - everything )
4. - Restart the computer
5. - Immediately begin pressing either F8, F10, F11 or "Alt-F10" before the boot screen changes( i.e. the 1st screen you see with the mfg's logo ). Each computer mfg uses a different button so you will need to try them all until you find the right one for your system. I would start with F8 as it is most common.
6. On the menu option screen that comes up, again, depending on the mfg, you will have options to repair or restore your system. You are not looking for system restore though. Ignore that. Look for restore to or reset to factory image. I have always found it under repair. Select restore/reset to factory image and follow the instructions which will set the system back to just how it came out of the box new.

The important thing is to leave that recovery partition untouched( don't delete it during the 10130 install )until you are sure Windows 10 will function properly on the machine. I actually did that with the system I upgraded yesterday. The OS disc was gone for it too and I actually had to restore it to the factory image before I did the 10130 install as it had some USB issues I needed to correct just to be able to do the install.

So, either clone the hard drive or just leave the recovery partition alone until you load 1030 and see that everything works ok. If it does then you can remove it during the clean install of the newest version of Windows 10.

I'm posting to give big thanks to NHHEMI. I upgraded two Dell Inspiron 530 with windows vista to windows 10 last night. Once I upgraded the first computer and had two USB flashdrives done, the second vista upgrade took 1 hour 30 minutes. I have a vista HP laptop and a XP compaq presario, I will try those upgrades next. I gotta rush since starting 10/2/15 the upgrade won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back