Updated Firefox browser to be available Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like a good deal to me.

Actually, if the current version could seemlessly upgrade itself the same way it does with the minor updates, I would be really impressed. So in a way, I'm hoping that it does do an automatic update. I would jump right into the upgrade anyway, though.

Booted back to windows to check out 2.0. It looks pretty good, not a lot of changes. The in-line spell check is good, which is one of my favorite Konqueror(oddly enough it flagged that) features. The close buttons on tabs are beyond useless, middle click already closes tabs, it's easy to hit the close button by mistake. Fortunately flexibility is Firefox's greatest feature, a quick trip to about:config fixes all.

I look forward to FF on Linux/BSD, I hope they have brought it into the present and it still doesn't look like Netscape 6.0.

-T

I just got it and installed it: where is the spellchecker?

Here's another related question:Because I was having trouble with FF 1.5 lately, I wanted to get all the traces of 1.5 before I installed the 2.0
so, I uninstalled FF 1.5 using the uninstaller on XP, and deleted the program files from :C also...
So how in the owrld then, when I open the new 2.0, it still has the same theme, extentions and bookmarks (without me importing any saved ones) already on it ?
didn't the 1.5 really get uninstalled?? I mean , if everything was gone, FF 2.0 should be totally default on my PC right?

Can someone tell me why? Thanks!

Most windows programs install settings and other files in C:/documents and settings/username/.....

-T

There could be stuff left in the registry as well. For example, I uninstalled IE7 yesterday, but now my IE6 has some of the features from IE7 - like having more than one folder open at a time in the favorites bar, or the little icons next to the favorites not disappearing every time I boot.

OK, I looked around and found some other files assoc w/FF, and deleted them, an reinstalled 2.0.
and this time, it started as if FF has never been on my PC. Just the way I wanted-totally default 2.0. I have saved the bookmarks from ff 1.5, but I'm afraid even to import them due to the possibility that whatever was freezing up ff 1.5 is in the bookmarks...I'll have to create the profile I had too...(themes. extensions, etc), but I don't mind as long FF 2.0 doesn't freeze up everything..I'll have to use it a coupla times and see...and if all is OK, I will create my old profile, tweak, customize, etc/

Thanks, guys.

Quote:

I just got it and installed it: where is the spellchecker?

It is built-in and it checks the spelling as you type, but only in larger text boxes...not everywhere you could type text. However, it's great for spellchecking in "post" text boxes such as here on BITOG.
cheers.gif

Pabs, open source software will never "force you to upgrade", they are not making money off of it, and it is all about choice.

Of course, no one is going to spend resources patching very old versions or backporting features.

Last edited:
OK - force was too strong a word - I meant auto update/irreversible. It's sorta fine.....

NOW - I have TWO problems

1) When I click a toolbar bookmark Firefox doesn't open a new tab, it open the site in an existing tab! And I can't find the setting for that.

2) Spellcheck doesn't seem to have changeable settings....does it??

yeah, Pablo
I have the same problem. I want to open a new tab automatically from the tool bar book marks. Now we have to open a new (blank) tab, THEN click on the toolbar book mark....

FF also doesn't open a new tab from the address bar now either...I miss that...I guess we'll have to wait until tab mix /tab mix plus is available for 2.0 to change those settings.

The options aren't there in native FF.

Just get tab mix plus. I use a track ball with 4-buttons - I guess you can set one of the inner buttons to do the job, but I just like normal left click. I don't use regular book marks, I use the bookmark toolbar extension - so SLICK. How can you not use book marks? I have way too many pages.

I now have Faster Fox working like a champ. Takes a little file changing. Fee the FFFF page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back