Update: Oil turns dark quickly

I've seen Castrol Edge dirty up very quickly in a Chrysler 3.6. I posted about it a while back and I believe someone else had the same exact scenario. I have not tried another oil yet because of the MS 6395 requirement of Chrysler. So there may be something to this, maybe not.
Try a Pennzoil product - they are all MS6395 approved. See if you experience the same behavior.

Try a Pennzoil product - they are all MS6395 approved. See if you experience the same behavior.
Since the 3.6 was spec'd for 5W30 originally, I felt more comfortable going with the thickest 5W20 I could find which was the Castrol. Pennzoil is one of the thinnest 5W20's.

It will hit 100k in the next few months and I'll switch to M1 or Valvoline.

Since the 3.6 was spec'd for 5W30 originally, I felt more comfortable going with the thickest 5W20 I could find which was the Castrol. Pennzoil is one of the thinnest 5W20's.

It will hit 100k in the next few months and I'll switch to M1 or Valvoline.
If it was originally 5w30 why not just use 5w30?

My diesel oil turns jet black about 2 seconds of run time after a fresh oil change. It means nothing, has zero effect on lubrication. If your engine is so sludged that the valves are ticking due to blockages and low oil pressure, sure, maybe you need to clean/flush. That's a whole other argument. If it runs fine, good pressure, correct viscosity, not a 500 hp racing engine, it won't matter much what brand or what colour it turns. Without a UOA and quantifiable numbers to compare, a completely subjective analysis of the shade of amber doesn't scientifically say anything. It could be just as much due to driving style, season, type of fuel used, engine has some other problem like O2 sensor or bad plug, all would affect colour. Comparing colours of amber doesn't tell us which oil is "better". Years ago lighter, 'cleaner' oil used to mean it's newer. Dirtier oil indicated longer service interval. There is nearly zero relationship between colour and lubrication today.

Back