Unsustainable meat farming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh no. They remove large crocs from people areas and move then on. They are not farmed or defenceless unlike the poor dogs in Korea. They are not strung up by their necks to strangle and beaten to death with clubs. If you can't tell the difference why are you even on BITOG?

I'm surprised how this discussion has stayed sensible. All I can add is that I'm not particularly "R", but I can imagine an afterlife where you are treated the same as you treated other beings. Another note, not to get "R", but there is a Hebrew word for murder, and it's not the one used in the ten thingies, the word used in correct translations is simply not to "kill". Think about it.

edkramptizjr's post is a total copy of my views, even to the raising of rabbits in the past. Can't really condone raising of dogs, but wouldn't think too strongly against except for cruelty. That I have a real problem with. Live just far enough into the "country" (in a county with no animal controll program)that City folks think their unwanted pets would be right at home, so they boot them out of vehicle at night in my driveway. Next morning I have an unwanted animal to dispose of. Have killed literally dozens of dogs and cats in the past 30 years. Allways humanely.

Living in the heart of one of the nations largest poultry production areas, I can assure you that filming scenes of wanton abuse,torture,and cruelty is common in poultry houses where the owner hires the dregs of scociety to perform daily procedures. NOBODY else would have the job! Especially at the below minimum wage salary the producer can pay by furnishing hired help with housing. Can't blame the producer, because corporation he's obligated to doesn't pay him very well either. Don't hold anything against KFC, they're no worse than ConAgra,Townsends,Pilgrim's Pride,Honeysuckle,Tyson,or any of the others. Actually I think KFC buys from all of the above, whichever submits the lowest bid on any given contract.

Bob

On a related topic to hilite 'cultural differences', at one time when getting a hunting license it was clear that there was an obligation to shoot feral dogs and cats as they are often pretty destructive to native wildlife. Australia has had such a big problem with cats that the government evidently tests different control methods, and people are encouraged to shoot feral cats.

The point of my earlier crocodile analogy was that some cultures might find it equally repulsive that a TV icon torments crocs to generate entertainment. The difference that I notice is that I recognize and am tolerant to other's cultural beliefs and refrain from judgement.

I also find it fascinating that we (humans) tolerate some forms of animal cruelty over others. For instance, when rats and mice invade our space, it is not uncommon for exterminators to use Ramik type poisons that cause their lung vessels to explode and they die somewhat slowly by suffocation and, I imagine, in agony. That's o.k. because they are ugly mice and rats invading our space, am I right? Zinc phosphide causes rodent stomach's to explode because they cannot regurgitate. Again, an agonizining death.

Why do we tolerate this cruelty but not others? And, on the same note, we watch fictitious TV portraying actual brutality that humans do to each other, and that's also tolerated. Odd.

Ive had gator rabbit frog Robbins doves chickens cows pigs squirrels, but Dog is way too chewy, seriously pig is the worst domestic animal to slaughter, they squeal so much and bleed like a stuck pig, Ive given up slaughtering animals, I think very few would eat meat if the had to slaughter and butcher their own meats.

Auto-Union, the single most disturbing piece of video I've ever seen was years ago in the documentary (I guess you'd call it) film Faces of Death—and I've seen lots of perturbing footage over the years. In one segment of this film in a relatively posh restaurant somewhere overseas, a monkey is trapped with its head above the center of a table, and the diners around the table take turns clubbing its head in amusement as it screams until it's dead. Then they cut its skull open and eat its brains. I don't think this part of the film—the movie and its sequels are cult classics and primarily deal with people who do life-threatening things—was faked.

The topic of people eating fresh monkey brains as a delicacy after killing the monkey themselves in a restaurant came up on another BITOG thread many months ago, if I remember correctly, and some disputed it really happens. Looks as if it does.

As someone who as a whole cares deeply about animals, this one segment upset me in a way I can't describe. Seeing this once was enough. And I apologize for putting this vicious image into everyone else's heads here.

Quote:

And I apologize for putting this vicious image into everyone else's heads here.

Gee, thanks! I've tried for the past 19 years or so to get that monkey scene out of my head (no pun intended), and now you've just brought it back to the forefront!

I, too, remember watching that film. Most of it was too gross to watch, honestly. The monkey/restaurant/brain-eating scene stands out most vividly in my memory.

I'm ashamed to say that I also saw Faces of Death, and that segment about the monkey.
I'm not the One in charge of such things, but if I were, people who do that kind of thing would need AC bigtime after they die.

Quote:

the single most disturbing piece of video I've ever seen was years ago in the documentary (I guess you'd call it) film Faces of Death

It's not a documentary, but just a sleazy compilation of some authentic footage from WW2 and Vietnam plus slaughterhouse footage, some freak accidents and fake snuff.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0077533/

Vegemite is delicious! It may not look all that good, but I'm sure there are no mites or mite byproducts in it.
wink.gif

vmite2183.jpg

Thanks for the reminder about the cheesy nature of much of the rest of that film, Mori. It's been a decade since I saw a VCR tape of it and had forgotten almost all of it—except for that segment.

The only other thing I remember from either it or its sequel is the guy trying to jump a specially built car with a Continental Mark IV body over a river, and the car flying apart in midair and crashing into the water. And that struck me as a little bit staged, as I never heard anything about that particular stunt before seeing that footage.

Quote:

sprintman, in addition to the dog story, I always found it unpleasant to watch a certain guy tease and torment a wild alligator/crocodile, a half dozen people pounce on it, then tie it up in ropes. The violent twisting to free itself didn't indicate it was having much fun either. Does your country not fall into your "psycological flaw" definition?

I always thought the guy was a dill.

Yep, he saved some crocs, removing them to safe areas, but tormented a lot of animals for the sake of TV (that faked "croc choking on a sweater" etc.

I laughed like crazy the day a goanna turned and latched onto his arm. A bit of revenge from the tormented.

I agree, he did great things for conservation.

But he did some stupid stuff. He tormented animals that he needn't have tormented...right on my T.V. screen for sensational purposes. That's enough research into that behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back