unknown oil at 4.2k miles / 2016 Ram 2500 @ 135k miles

Had the Truck for 2 Months now, Not sure what oil was in it. The lot I got it from had it serviced before I got it. The place had no idea what oil they used when I called them. Anyone have an idea about the Potassium? I did a full Drain of the Oil. I used Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40 Synthetic, 2 quarts of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer and a Cat Filter. Figured I would do a sample at 5k.

16 RAM 2500.jpg

Last edited:
Can't tell much from one sample, but I don't see the potassium being a big concern at this point, unless it repeats or gets worse with subsequent samples.

Personally I would have omitted the Lucas additive so that it's possible to monitor things / compare to universal averages with as few variables as possible.

potassium is possible Antifreeze I'd resample after 2000-3000miles(dont need to change)
to see how much there is.. as mentioned its possible remnants of an oil additive.

Had the Truck for 2 Months now, Not sure what oil was in it. The lot I got it from had it serviced before I got it. The place had no idea what oil they used when I called them. Anyone have an idea about the Potassium? I did a full Drain of the Oil. I used Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40 Synthetic, 2 quarts of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer and a Cat Filter. Figured I would do a sample at 5k.

View attachment 106138

These engines are relatively easy on oil. Pick your favorite flavor of 15w40 or 5w40 if you run below 0F. No need for the Lucas. Honestly it’s an expensive base oil with no benefit IMO.

Fleetguard is the OEM filter for your truck. I’d stick with that or the Mopar version. I’d also consider changing the air and fuel filters so you know when they were done. Again OEM in those places as well.

Just my $0.02

Welcome to the site!

I would recommend ditching the Lucas oil product use; there's absolutely no need for it in most applications. The 6.7L Cummins does not need anything special in terms of oils; just use any decent HDEO and skip the additives.

Push the OCI up to 10k miles and then sample.

Good point @dnewton3 ! I’m on my first journey to 10k with my 2012. I’ve been in the 7.5k range for the last few changes with good UOA results.

IIRC, The 2013+ had a longer interval than the 2010-12.

Just my $0.02

View attachment 106138
Seriously, skip the Lucas like @dnewton3 says and put in a reputable brand HDEO. A well formulated engine oil is all you'll need.

Back