Universal Coolants

In that case I guess I'll have to wait until the rebuild to change coolants.

What’s the goal? Change coolants, or just top up and not alter color?

You can add a pale yellow AMAM, Peak 10X, and it won’t change color much if you are topping up. It will be A-ok w/Dex. On sale now at Ace for $8/gallon (before $5 rebate).

If there is a rebuild in the future, then that’s the best time to do a full change.

Last edited:
Most universal coolants have the same OAT chemistry as Dexcool and should be fine for topping up a Dexcool system.

The universal yellow coolants shouldn't change the color too much, if at all. They even claim they specifically designed it not to change the color of what's already in the system.

Prestone AMAM is perfectly compatible with Dexcool.

Peak 10x shouldn't be a problem, either.

The only coolant I would add to Dexcool is Dexcool.

The Prestone Cor-Guard is a dexclone and thus should be safe to add to Dexcool :unsure:

I’ve mixed Ford Specialty Orange (Ford’s Dex), Specialty Yellow (Prestone), and (used/recycled) regular Dexcool in a ‘18 Transit 250 3.7-the resulting color was a slightly dark red Dex-like color. Didn’t hurt anything in that leaky van!

Can universal coolants be added to Dexcool without changing the Dexcool's color?
Probably not. Might only be a minor variation in color, depending.
The good news is DEXcool is not an expensive coolant.
I might assume that you want to use a non dexclone universal coolant but your under warranty so you don’t want it to be obvious?
DEXcool is a perfectly fine coolant. It’s been working well for many years now. 30 or 40 years ago there was an issue that is still wildly exaggerated and misunderstood and just not existent anymore.

Probably not. Might only be a minor variation in color, depending.
The good news is DEXcool is not an expensive coolant.
I might assume that you want to use a non dexclone universal coolant but your under warranty so you don’t want it to be obvious?
DEXcool is a perfectly fine coolant. It’s been working well for many years now. 30 or 40 years ago there was an issue that is still wildly exaggerated and misunderstood and just not existent anymore.
Dexcool came out in 1996 IIRC and it was a Texaco product that GM used. The intake gasket material in some cars didn't play well with Dexcool but the problem was solved with upgraded gasket materials. I would agree that Dexcool/Dexclones would probably work well in most modern vehicles if properly flushed of all other coolants before filling your system with a 50/50 mix of it.

Car is not under warranty. My worst fear is mixing in a different coolant and the color changing to brown.

Dexcool came out in 1996 IIRC and it was a Texaco product that GM used. The intake gasket material in some cars didn't play well with Dexcool but the problem was solved with upgraded gasket materials. I would agree that Dexcool/Dexclones would probably work well in most modern vehicles if properly flushed of all other coolants before filling your system with a 50/50 mix of it.
The original Dexcool also seemed to have issues if air could get in the system. Through a faulty radiator cap in some cases. Unsure if the new AMAM still has issues if air gets into the system but not sure

The original Dexcool also seemed to have issues if air could get in the system. Through a faulty radiator cap in some cases. Unsure if the new AMAM still has issues if air gets into the system but not sure

If it has 2-EHA, it has the issue. This includes GM-licensed Dexcool as well as dexclones like Prestone.

The problem is more prevalent in non-pressurized coolant overflow tanks, where it's easier for air to enter the system, especially if the coolant is low.

If it has 2-EHA, it has the issue. This includes GM-licensed Dexcool as well as dexclones like Prestone.

The problem is more prevalent in non-pressurized coolant overflow tanks, where it's easier for air to enter the system, especially if the coolant is low.
Did any car that came with Dexcool from the factory have a non-pressurized coolant overflow tank?

Back