Universal ATF/CVT fluid in my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder

I would have no issue using catrols universal fluid either the cvt or the atf/cvt that has replaced the later, appears to be exact formilation. You can compare both to Nissan NS-3 fluid specs.

That's weird that the Transmax CVT cannot be mixed with the Universal ATF/CVT fluid. If the Universal ATF/CVT fluid is applicable for CVT's then there must be a Friction modification (DI) clash between it and the Transmax CVT fluid.

It also makes me wonder why other blenders have not used the Afton Universal ATF/CVT DI package.
Not sure I buy that, but i suppose they would know best. I looked at the product data sheet and everything is exactly the same between cvt version and the atf/cvt. But perhaps the changed some chemical in the add pack that i'm not aware of..

From personal experience with a2016 Nissan Versa, Transmax Universal ATF/CVT rings great in the transmission. No issue and I’m about 25k miles from changing over the fluid from idemitsu n3. Did 3 drain and fills in quick succession to get as much of the old fluid out as possible since you can’t fully drain this transmission.

Reactions: JTK
Right now I have this in a 2021 Toyota Corolla calling for the FE spec in it's CVT as a test run, with the way the vehicles are driven. It's been in there for a month and the car had driven for 1500 miles. Afton might be onto something here

Good for you and please do update as some miles are accumulated!

I don't blame you one bit. With Nissan's CVT history I would be doing the same 🍻

I would have no issue using catrols universal fluid either the cvt or the atf/cvt that has replaced the later, appears to be exact formilation. You can compare both to Nissan NS-3 fluid specs.
I used the chat function on Castrols website asking if the universal atf/cvt fluid has replaced the cvt fluid as none of the auto parts stores near me have it in stock. The person I spoke with said it has not replaced it and you can get it on Amazon

Autozone, Walmart near me have the universal atf/cvt but not the transmax cvt

Good for you and please do update as some miles are accumulated!

I don't blame you one bit. With Nissan's CVT history I would be doing the same 🍻
Actually I forgot to include, we have a 2016 versa in the fleet with the this stuff with 50k on it. I ended pulling off the lines, pumping 3 gallons until it was crystal red coming out. I should consider doing an analysis on it. The fluid should still be in rather good condition, the car is used in a ride share with Uber/turo/getaround so it's probably seen the abuse. I would say, the weird shift characteristics of the OE fluid (you know the typical CVT drive feeling when it's varying the shift variables) I changed it at around 60k that included cleaning the strainer in the pan and changing the filter located on the side of the case. It runs very consistent compared to Nissans fluid. I see the same results with the Corolla. The versa, however, it's been performing great with little mechanical interaction. Right now it's sitting with 116k. It was changed over 2 years ago.

Once I see the fluid degradation counter hit 210,000 on the scan tool, I'll change it then.

It's been running great for my vw Aisin 09G in my jetta (20,000 something miles accumulated) for those curious on regular planetary automatics

When it is time to do another drain/fill on her Altima if I can’t find the transmax cvt locally I’m going with the transmax atf/cvt fluid that I see everywhere

When it is time to do another drain/fill on her Altima if I can’t find the transmax cvt locally I’m going with the transmax atf/cvt fluid that I see everywhere
Check your fluid degradation level. CVTz50 App with the ELM327 or your diagnostic tablet or handheld might have it. Color of the fluid, remove the bolt on the pan, check the quality. After you change the fluid, reset the degradation level and you should be good. Sometimes you may not hit the 210,000 level. If you feel it's due, doesn't hurt to change it.

Nissan recommends to change CVT fluid if deterioration exceeded 210,000 points. (These points are usually generated when the fluid has exceeded 90°C and severe driving) It's a similar algorithm to the oil change counter in most cars.

I just go with most recommendations of 25-30K miles.

I have an Innova 5410, CGsulit 204, and Veepeak obd + dongle, don’t think those do that
The Veepeak should work with the CVTz app. It's an ELM adaptor

Edit: they have a demo app in the Google play store. You're in business!

She's just shy of 88k miles now, so ~18k miles total on the 2 gallons of Transmax universal ATF/CVT fluid. Zero complaints so far.
My 2012 Versa is at 103k. I’ve done 2 drain and fills at 50k and 100k. Trans seems strong. No slipping or hesitation. Fingers crossed. I’ll do another one short of 150k. But only Nissan fluid. Who knows? Car owes me nothing at this point. Would I love another 100k out of it..oh yeah!

if you are going to use those universal ATF and CVT fluids, I would highly recommend the Hotshots Shift Restore which I use in my CVT, but can be treated in both systems. I feel the group 5 additive will help keep things clean as well as slow/stop leaks and give you a better performance feel
I have over 6 installments using this product and it does a wonderful job 😀

Attachments

• SR_Back_WebLabel.jpg
    SR_Back_WebLabel.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 5
I've done about 5-6 syphon and fills on a 2010 Cube with a 2016 CVT (replacement from dealer). The OE fluid was just about black on the first drain and I did a few initial drains to get it fairly clear. This took place in 2018-2022, pics to follow.

The fluid used was a 12-pack of Peak CVT, then "OEM" brand on clearance from PartSource (they have three different colours available).

I was new to the vehicle at the time so I don't know if there was any improvement but I've been very happy with the results. Once you get used to the behaviour of the Jatco JF009E it's quite a nice bit of kit.

I've since transferred this CVT into a different Cube and changed out the filters and pan at that time. It was fairly clean inside but the magnets were overdue for cleaning. We've been driving it daily and put several long haul trips on it this summer. The fill at that time was Amsoil CVT.

Tip: monitor the vitals with a VeePeak VP11 and the CVTz50 app or install a tranny temp gauge

I feel the group 5 additive will help keep things clean as well as slow/stop leaks
Most of us do not have "leaks" and transmission internals do not get "dirty" like engines may...

give you a better performance feel
Adding some Group V base oil (if that is even true) should not result in a "better" performance feel. Base oil changes can affect the frictional characteristics of any fluid, though.

I have over 6 installments using this product and it does a wonderful job 😀

Just skip the snake oil...

Back