Under-sink shutoff valve washer ?

Every old under-sink shutoff valve that I've seen had a replaceable small rubber washer on the end that is secured by a small brass screw.

I was helping someone move recently into a mid 1960's house and since the shutoff valves would never turn off the water we pulled one off expecting to replace the old washers. I was surprised to find the old and cracked washer appeared to be some type of friction fit over the end (see picture) because there was no screw being used. The valves are branded "Plumb Shop". I tried to force the typical ~1/4" washers that I had purchased (that has a hole in the center for the screw) over the end but it would not go over that small lip.

Is there a different type of washer one should use for this type of valve end? If anyone knows or has experience with this type please tell me more about what I should be asking or looking for to get the correct new washers.

Attachments

• P6090534.JPG
    P6090534.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 53
  • P6090537.JPG
    P6090537.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 53
Yep..1/4 turn stops when possible. Sometimes not possible so ya gotta fix the oil one. And yes a standard washer will fit over the barb..just gotta eat your Wheaties...and waterproof grease when reassembling and on that washer also..it will go.

Ugh, I found one of those on my washing machine turn off. I broke the tip off trying to unscrew it. It was not a screw... I drilled a hole and banged a SS screw into it, and swapped it with one from an outside spigot.

Those old valves are horrible.

The stem threads fill with debris over time and hold up the works. Some plastic stemed stops swell also. Never install a globe or gate valve with the stem pointing down or it will catch debris. Those 1/4 turn stops have an o-ring for the stem seal. They have been known to leak there after awhile with one use...at least around these parts..

I've had to buy a new valve to remove the washer from it to repair a leaking one that could not (easily) be replaced because it was crimped to polybutylene pipe. (That garbage pipe that shoddy builders absolutely loved to use in the 80s and 90s because it was cheap cheap cheap).

The stem threads fill with debris over time and hold up the works. Some plastic stemed stops swell also. Never install a globe or gate valve with the stem pointing down or it will catch debris. Those 1/4 turn stops have an o-ring for the stem seal. They have been known to leak there after awhile with one use...at least around these parts..

On a couple occasions I’ve had the stem break while shutting off the water for repair’s necessitating a trip to the store. The cheaper valves use a plastic or nylon stem.

The quarter turn valves are ideal.

Back