Unboxing a AUTEL SA808

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Purchased a Autel scan tool. I have never used a tool of this nature. I have been having some issues where "kicking it up a notch" in the diagnostics may help streamline troubleshooting. Watching youtube is what brought the benefits of a tool of this nature to automotive troubleshooting.

I purchased the tool on 8 FEB 2023 while working outside of the USA. Price was about $659. With WA state sales tax, $729 delivered. I couldn't find the tool when I came home, thought maybe it didn't get delivered, porch pirate, etc. The reason I could not find the tool is the box was much bigger than I expected. I was looking for a box the size of a couple oil filters. Had no idea the kit was actually two decent sized boxes.

A bit disappointed the tool is made in China. I suspect they all are, but I am working to buy items from other origins. I am well aware many new factories outside China (such as in Vietnam), are actually Chinese controlled organizations that are able to show a different country of origin on the label.

Registering the product required more personal information that I have ever recalled providing for any other tech product. In addition, both a personal email and a phone number were required to register the product, and only 60 seconds was permitted after requesting email and phone verification to validate the numbers Autel provided.

PXL_20230328_023452633.jpg
PXL_20230328_023627684.jpg
PXL_20230328_023710605.jpg
PXL_20230328_023743110.jpg
PXL_20230328_024347240.jpg

Last edited:
Updating the scanner now. A time-consuming endeavor. One likely should do the numerous updates using a high-speed internet connection.

And came across this during the registration: updates are 349.50 USD/Year. Wow, had no idea about this. Something one might want to add to the purchasing criteria of the scan tool, annual update costs.

Only 44 separate updates to go :(.

Last edited:
Looks sharp, enjoy it 🫡
It seems a lot like my MK808, but with all the adapters included
Yes, it will update very frequently, and the updates are a little pricey
Mines a step lower than yours, only $99 per 1 year
Set a reminder on your phone a few days before it expires, to make sure you take all the available updates
It doesn't stop working if you don't pay, you just don't get new updates until you do

One of the reasons I went with XTool D7, 3 years of free updates and the updates come in on basically weekly basis from my experience, I need to update almost every time I fire the thing up. I see it as a good thing thou as they constantly add features (and fix things). Not that the tool is very buggy but they are very active to please cunsumer.

Reactions: GON
I don’t need a dedicated diag tablet. Bought a ThinkCar ThinkDiag2, using an old Android phone(Samsung Galaxy S10e) for it. It works fine, updates are $99/year for everything(I’m on the free year) or $10/make/year. An Autel tool doesn’t make sense for a shade tree like me.

Reactions: GON
I am looking forward to your review. This one is a little above my budget, but I had been looking at a couple others - like the Inova 5610. Several people said they loved it, then someone here said it would not read airbag codes on 2 of their vehicles, but a higher end unit, I forget which, did.

let us know how it works for you, and what make(s) your using it with. I have also read the performance varies between different scanners / OEM's.

That is my reason for not wanting these scan tools, I want plug and play no registration at all. I wish there were physical stores to purchase said items from, so I could have them set it up and ready to fly. Also some of these scan tools stop working in bi directional if you don't allow it to connect to the internet, like every month or so. Yeah the snooping never ends.
Question if you have one and did all your private information that is sent to who knows where, and decide to sell it what is the process?
Does the purchaser have to re register it?

I have a Thinktool Pros tablet scan tool and it's coming due for an update in Oct of this year. It came with two years of free updates. I think updates are $400-500 a year to update it. I'm not sure if I will update it or not.

I am looking forward to your review. This one is a little above my budget, but I had been looking at a couple others - like the Inova 5610. Several people said they loved it, then someone here said it would not read airbag codes on 2 of their vehicles, but a higher end unit, I forget which, did.

let us know how it works for you, and what make(s) your using it with. I have also read the performance varies between different scanners / OEM's.
I have an Innova 5610 scanner and it was able to read the air bag codes on a 2008 Ford Focus.

Back