Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would 2 stroke oil be a waste of time? It is oil, so presumablby has all of the lubricity enhancers intact, and it is made to burn. Using it may be more expensive than other additives, but can't see why it wouldnt be good for the pump, valves, etc.

Low sulfur fuel is already here. reports are from anywhere between 500 and 50 ppm currently coming thru the pipline as the refiniers have begun ulsd production.

what you will see and hear about in the coming months.

fuel filter clogging. ulsd will clean out the system similar to bio.

equipment that has been run hard and hot may well see leaks.

need to add lubricity. ulsd min specs from the gov are not as hihg as the oem wants (surprise,surprise)long term injector failure is a real concern.

fuel stability and storagability will be
compromised.

Cold flow properties will be all over the board.

DO NOT run the higher sulfur fuel in the new 07's

And the schaeffer's diesel adds are quite good!!!

salesrep didnt plug it, so I will!

JMH

While I will not recommend Two Stroke oil for your diesel, it does help in the lubricity department.

As I have mentioned here before, I have Jet A for diesel gensets. I need a lubricity additive, so I use Stanadyne lubricity additive. But I also add 2 stroke oil at 100 to 1. The reason is simple, My HFRR wear scar results were far better with the 2t oil in addition to the lub additive.

Chris

I think I posted this in another thread on ULSD a while ago along with spec's. I worked for a transit company that was one of, if not the first, in the USA to run ULSD (only one refinery was setup for production when we started). First thing that happened is we plugged about 33,000 (+/- a few) fuel filters in about 5 months. Then we had a rash of injector failures. Mostly they were Cummins Celect and Celect + injectors, some 6V92 DDECII as well. Although injector life has improved some, it is still not back to pre ULSD reliability. The official answer from Cummins is that we are changing the injectors too soon. At the time most injectors were being changed around the same time the units were due for a tune-up. The Cummins said the difference in run-ability was due to the tune-up. I don’t buy it for one minuet. I never saw one we tuned up that was very far out of spec, certainly not enough to create the problems seen. I also find it hard to believe that these failures occurred in close proximity to the switch to ULSD. The only fuel systems that are living as long, if not longer, than “normal” lives are the units that are being run on B5.

On my personally vehicles, I run B20 or B99 (depending on which is less at the time, both are less than Dino Diesel around here usually) when I’m in town. When I’m on the road I just fill at any truck stop and add Stanadyne Lubricity Formula. I will not run any of the current pumps fuel without some Lube adds. PowerStroke injectors are about 250-350 a piece times 8, Cummins fuel pumps (Bosch) are anywhere from 450-2500+ depending on model and specs, it’s not worth taking the chance of trashing one for the cost of a lube add, IMO. I think it is even more important with rotary and common rail type pumps, or any that have many precision moving parts that depend on fuel for lube.

I installed and am running a Fleetguard FS20000 fuel filter with a slow dissolving lubricity additive in it. Cummins designed it for B series engines running low lube fuels. That it's five microns doesn't hurt either.

That is the very first that I have heard of that system heavyeqtech.

Can you get us some more information? What is the threads of the filter? Which base does it go to? Or is it a drop in?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back