UHP All-Season Tires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize you should have already (as in a long time ago) used the Michelins on the rear and the Conti's on the front, as you ALWAYS have the higher traction tire on the rear axle (2wd, 4wd, FWD, RWD).

Unless you (wrongly) insisted, I'd be wary of a tire shop that would install two new Michelins on the front axle with two partly worn Conti's still on the rear. They know nothing about tires or safe vehicle dynamics.

As a reference point:

http://www.auto-swiat.pl/eksploatacja/te...-na-lato/lz9nsh

Aquaplaning speed in Polish version of Auto Motor und Sport (that will be Auto Motor i Sport).

225/50R17 tires in the test started to aquaplane on 8mm (1/3 of an inch) of standing water at 86.8 to 93 km/h.
That is 54 to 58 mph. Average seems to be 89 km/h 56 mph.

In bad road conditions some people drive too fast and you do not want to drive faster than them.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
As a reference point:

http://www.auto-swiat.pl/eksploatacja/te...-na-lato/lz9nsh

Aquaplaning speed in Polish version of Auto Motor und Sport (that will be Auto Motor i Sport).

225/50R17 tires in the test started to aquaplane on 8mm (1/3 of an inch) of standing water at 86.8 to 93 km/h.
That is 54 to 58 mph. Average seems to be 89 km/h 56 mph.

In bad road conditions some people drive too fast and you do not want to drive faster than them.

Krzys

Interesting. I was willing to drive slower, but it felt dangerous to drive any slower given that tractor trailers kept passing me, which is not entirely safe either.

Of course, this isn't the first time that I've driven in rain, though I haven't really driven in heavy rain like this in a while. All I can say is that I've never felt so unsafe on a wet road as I did during this recent trip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
You do realize you should have already (as in a long time ago) used the Michelins on the rear and the Conti's on the front, as you ALWAYS have the higher traction tire on the rear axle (2wd, 4wd, FWD, RWD).

Unless you (wrongly) insisted, I'd be wary of a tire shop that would install two new Michelins on the front axle with two partly worn Conti's still on the rear. They know nothing about tires or safe vehicle dynamics.

If I had realized this, then I would have done it. I've never heard that you always put the higher traction tire in the back. Why, exactly?

I don't remember the conversation with the tire place. I needed to replace a flat tire, so I bought two new ones, since the others still had a lot of tread left. It's likely that I won't be using the same tire shop this go around anyways.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
I'd recommend Cooper Zeon RS3-A or RS3-G1 for dry and wet performance. I've put about 10k miles on the RS3-A and they are excellent tire for the money. AFAIK, G1 is the revised version which offers more tread-life warranty.

I previously used Pilot Super Sport and I'd easily say if you don't go to track, you won't feel a difference. If you are okay with mid-tier brand, definitely way to go.

The OP would want the RS3-G1 over the RS3-A as it's better in every category compared to the RS3-A except for snow. The RS3-G1 is still pretty good in the snow, though. I used them this Winter on my Mazdaspeed3 and they worked very well. Not as good as the dedicated Winter tires I had been running in previous years, but very good for a UHP AS tire.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Originally Posted By: dgunay
I'd recommend Cooper Zeon RS3-A or RS3-G1 for dry and wet performance. I've put about 10k miles on the RS3-A and they are excellent tire for the money. AFAIK, G1 is the revised version which offers more tread-life warranty.

I previously used Pilot Super Sport and I'd easily say if you don't go to track, you won't feel a difference. If you are okay with mid-tier brand, definitely way to go.

The OP would want the RS3-G1 over the RS3-A as it's better in every category compared to the RS3-A except for snow. The RS3-G1 is still pretty good in the snow, though. I used them this Winter on my Mazdaspeed3 and they worked very well. Not as good as the dedicated Winter tires I had been running in previous years, but very good for a UHP AS tire.

I agree with you. I will probably switch to G1 after wearing RS3-A out. G1 wasn't released when I got this tire.

I'd say it is the best bang for the buck UHP AS tire in the market.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my GTI and didn't care for them much.
Overrated, period.
The + version might be better?

Glad I am not the only one. Do not attempt to use in snow, they are terrible. Tried it for 1 km (have the + version) turned around and put real snows on.

Unlike most on here it seems, the Pilot Sport AS/3s I purposely ordered on this car (vs. the 15+ year old tech, summer Potenza 050As that would otherwise come on these cars), have impressed me greatly for an all season tire.

They are not half as 'squishy/squirmy' as other all seasons I have had, with great response and turn-in, and the only one that came even close was the BFG G-force Super Sport all seasons I had on the Z28 for a winter use setup.

They also were not as 'horrid' for me as others have claimed in shallow wet/slushy snow, the few times I've been out in those conditions with this car.

I probably will not get the pluses when these wear out, due to their co$t, and since these factory wheels are going to become my 'intermediate' wheels for late fall/early spring use with NO snow or ice.
So they will get the (barely an) all season, 280 tread wear, summer looking tread pattern, Nitto Neo Gens on them.

I will get a set of dedicated winter alloys with Hakka R2s or the like on them for pure winter use, and working/marshaling on Pro Rallies in the summer.
I already have an almost race level, dedicated pure summer setup for this car.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: wally21
I've never heard that you always put the higher traction tire in the back. Why, exactly?

Got it. I can't believe I've never heard that before. Thanks.

Since the replies generally have been all over the place (go figure), I'm not sure where I'll land with the new tires. Right now I'm leaning towards the Pirelli P Zero AS Plus tires. Tire Rack's testing puts them in a pretty favorable light. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230 I know that the subjective wet weather testing wasn't top, but they consistently ranked high on their objective tests. Four new tires of any kind will probably give me much better wet traction than I have now. The Bridgestone Potenza re980as tires are also intriguing.

Those got slippery than snot in the rain after a few thousand miles on mine. I’ve noted other users with the same issue. Other than that, they were great.

Originally Posted By: wally21
It does seem like the P7 is a favorite on this forum right now for some reason.

They're also one of Consumer Reports highest-rated all-seasons. I just put a set on my girlfriend's Civic to replace the ancient OEM tires that were on there, and no complaints so far.

No way will the P7 ever match the other UHPAS tires in this thread, performance-wise.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
No way will the P7 ever match the other UHPAS tires in this thread, performance-wise.

Yeah, many on here love them due to their somewhat frugal price of entry, fuel mileage, and wear mileages, but to me, remembering what the old, ancient, max performance P7s used to be back in the day, it is SACRILEGE that early Porsche Turbo factory issue donuts now share their name with these current 'pedestrian' performance, at best, tires.
frown.gif

It seems really common to look at tires in different categories and compare reviews without controlling for category. Like, people will look at a budget touring tire that earns 9/10 on average, and a tier-1 performance tire that earns 8/10 on average, and wring their hands over which one is better.

I get it. But at the same time... I don't get it. :p

That's not exactly what's happening here, but it's the same idea. The P7 isn't in the same category as the A/S 3+, RE980AS, DWS 06, or P Zero All Season Plus. The fact that it earns comparably positive reviews means it does as well in its own category as those other tires do in theirs. It doesn't mean it's a comparable tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back