Ugggggh, curb rash on my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
9202A3E2-8558-4593-95DE-C2BC19F84746-2497-0000037D7E08E50F.jpg

4E559EBE-CBEF-4DFD-8DA2-442E7CD15C9B-2497-0000037D8804F2B6.jpg

29D60877-19E6-44BB-ABB7-53B4A1843498-2497-0000037D8DDD23FE.jpg

I've been really lucky. I parallel park a lot, and have never curb rashed a wheel. I'm not accident prone and have never hit things.

I took my car to the dealer, to get the free oil change. They do a pre-service check of the car where they look for anything visible on the car.

I picked up the car today and saw the sheet - they marked a scuff on the front of the car. I stopped and looked and saw what I'm showing above.

I have no idea when this happened, or even if I did it. I don't want to pass blame on the dealer, though I don't have any knowledge that I did it, nor are there any blue scuffs on the curbs near my house, or along our driveway, one part of which is really narrow.

The bad news is that it's definitely deeper than a fingernail. The good news is that it is only the bumper cover, not on the car, wheel, tire, etc.

So what are my options? I'd hate to have to get the OE paint on the car itself blended. Given how low the scuff is and how it is barely visible unless looking low at the right angle, could it just get smoothed and blended on the bumper cover over a very small area?

Thanks!

Yeah, slather on the touch up paint and don't worry about getting curb rash in the future, you already have it. You are now released from bondage...

Make it a spring project?

In my case, I'm not sure I'd worry about it, given that it is so low. And sadly, bound to happen again...
frown.gif

Maybe just buy a touch up kit and blend it the best you can?

i'm not sure about you but i know that anytime ive done anything to cause a scuff like that i have known about it. i wouldn't want to go around passing blame but you seem like a pretty aware of your surroundings kind of guy. i find it hard to believe that you did it and didn't notice it. just my .2 cents

Accidents happen, luckily its not openly visible. Smooth it out and use a whole touch up bottle on it.

I would not want to use them, but too bad there is not something like the old spring curb feelers like you used to see on Cadillac and Lincoln cars? Maybe it's time to make something?

I'd only gently file down the high spots on the scruff. Any filler etc would cause more problems than it could fix on that flexible plastic. Then paint. It'll stick real good with the texture. Look at the bright side: it's a new car so the touch up paint hasn't settled/ turned hard/ become unavailable, and the car's paint hasn't been in the sun long enough to fade and not match the touch up.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
You have a nice BMW, JHZR2.

Was it JMK BMW or Park Ave BMW, by any chance?

No I used Freehold BMW because they hit invoice first try.

I picked it up at the BMW center in SC.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
I would see if your insurance company can fix that.

What is this going to cost? $1k? Not worth a claim and increased premiums. We self insure as much as possible.

Interestingly enough I used to live off the real Park Ave, as in where Park Ave BMW was originally.

I know... And that was only from a 2k mile road trip, mostly highway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back