U.S. Gasoline Requirements Map

A recent post made me think of this map that shows the specific gas blends required in different areas around the country.

The blends are aimed at reducing ground-level smog. You'll notice that specific blends correspond with major population centers: the NE corridor, metro Chicago and Detroit, Atlanta, St. Louis, Houston, DFW, LA, Phoenix... In addition to the amount of traffic, some metro areas are subject to inversions that aggravate bad air quality, like Salt Lake City and Denver (home of "The Brown Cloud").

API Gasoline Map

Here's an explanation and more local-level detail: EPA Reformulated Gasoline

A recent post made me think of this map that shows the specific gas blends required in different areas around the country.

The blends are aimed at reducing ground-level smog. You'll notice that specific blends correspond with major population centers: the NE corridor, metro Chicago and Detroit, Atlanta, St. Louis, Houston, DFW, LA, Phoenix... In addition to the amount of traffic, some metro areas are subject to inversions that aggravate bad air quality, like Salt Lake City and Denver (home of "The Brown Cloud").

API Gasoline Map

That's an old map. Anything newer? Atlanta is no longer on the list.

API Gasoline Map

Thank you. I think that might be reply to my thread that was shut down :(

API Gasoline Map

Well I guess there is a purpose for electric cars eve if the power is derived from coal... moving the pollution away from the city.

Couple of issues I have come across. My new Toro mower (Briggs & Straton engine) states NOT to use E15 gasoline, only E10. Not always easy to find in summer.

I frequently cross into Canada (Detroit/Windsor) and fill-up with their duty-free gasoline at the crossing. Only Premium available is 90 grade, while the Merc states 91 plus is the minimum to use. Should I be concerned? Usually fill with 93 octane at the local gas station. Haven't noticed any ill effects so far.

API Gasoline Map

thanks for posting this! it explains why gas is cheaper away from Maricopa county. the reformulated fuel mostly comes from CA while normal gasoline comes from Utah and other places and is cheaper

Back