U.S. Fines Automakers Hyundai and Kia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cadenza
Same question I always ask: who gets to keep the money?

Owners have already been getting reimbursed. That started a while back...like over a year ago.

The gov't just decided they wanted to stick their fingers in the pie too. They spotted an ATM and went after it.

I seem to recall getting a $5 check from Hyundai in 2006 or so when they settled a suit for over-stating the horsepower figures for my old 1999 Elantra. Turns out it was 138 hp instead of 140 hp. Whups!

Point being that Hyundai has a history of playing fast and loose with numbers that car buyers care about like horsepower and MPG ratings. I'm thinking the size of the fine was to dissuade them from pulling such shenanigans in the future. It might work.

Good for the govt. More or less they defrauded the govt by taking money - carbon credits that they did not deserve.

With a massive diesel so they can put stacks and roll coal with it, maybe with a CAT badge on it!

Hyundai/Kia took a risk and fudged the results to sell more cars since their engineering was not up to the task.

Not sure if would have cost them more then $350m to engineer and manufacture the cars to achieve the figures they made up.

Just my personal opinion but their cars are almost too good to be true for the price. Something has to give to get something cheaper, my guess was durability but apparently economy too. I am still tainted by the garbage of the late 1980's and will never own that badge in my lifetime if I can help it.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Hyundai/Kia took a risk and fudged the results to sell more cars since their engineering was not up to the task.

Not sure if would have cost them more then $350m to engineer and manufacture the cars to achieve the figures they made up.

Just my personal opinion but their cars are almost too good to be true for the price. Something has to give to get something cheaper, my guess was durability but apparently economy too. I am still tainted by the garbage of the late 1980's and will never own that badge in my lifetime if I can help it.

The thing is, they aren't really that cheap anymore. You can find cheaper cars at a Nissan dealer. You might even be able to get a better price on a Camry than a Sonata.

I think most other manufacturers that have been in the states significantly longer already learned long ago that overstating numbers opens them up to litigation and in the end doesn't work out well for them. Plus, they were already in the habit of understating performance going back to the 1960s and maybe even before that for various reasons.

Hyundai probably just thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I'm kind of surprised they even took the risk though. Most Hyundai shoppers seem more concerned with features for the price rather than performance for the price.

I dunno, I think 5-10 years ago Kia/Hyundai were in a different spot. I'm not sure what their market share was, but perception wasn't very good.

Heck, now that they've had to settle a lawsuit or two they look a lot more like the big players.

I built a house for a restaurant owner who had just bought 2 Santa fe's with a full load. They cost 40 grand each. Within 2 years there were trim pieces falling off,power windows were working intermintantly,various dash lights and check engine lights going on and off. Hyundai would reset the ecu and send him on his way.
They both had v-6 engines that were supposed to have class leading horsepower but those bricks couldn't get out of their own way.
After seeing those it just reinforced what I saw in their cars in the 80s and 90s. They are junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back