Types of fuel cleaning additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are there so many types of fuel additives used for cleaning?

For example from Liqui Moly:
  1. Injection Cleaner
  2. Valve Clean
  3. Fuel System Treatment

All these products are added in the fuel tank and they make the full journey from the tank to the cylinders. So is there really a need for a different product (because for example injector deposits have a different composition of those on valves) or is it just plain marketing?

Originally Posted By: inquirer

1. Injection Cleaner
  2. Valve Clean
  3. Fuel System Treatment

All these products are added in the fuel tank and they make the full journey from the tank to the cylinders. So is there really a need for a different product (because for example injector deposits have a different composition of those on valves) or is it just plain marketing?

No they are not, Liqui Moly Diesel Purge can be used in a closed loop system if you like fiddling with the fuel filter connectings, OR used to fill up the fuel filter housing when the element is changed (Like wot I do).
LMDP is slightly less efficient when used to fill the housing, BUT any cleaner that get sent down the retun line is approved as a fuel tank additive.

Diesel and petrol (Gas) fuel additives are not the same, BUT I kind of agree that LM might make a few fuel additives too many.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: inquirer

1. Injection Cleaner
  2. Valve Clean
  3. Fuel System Treatment

No they are not, Liqui Moly Diesel Purge can be used in a closed loop system if you like fiddling with the fuel filter connectings, OR used to fill up the fuel filter housing when the element is changed (Like wot I do).
LMDP is slightly less efficient when used to fill the housing, BUT any cleaner that get sent down the retun line is approved as a fuel tank additive.

Diesel and petrol (Gas) fuel additives are not the same, BUT I kind of agree that LM might make a few fuel additives too many.

There is no doubt there is a difference between gasoline and diesel additives. But all the links I gave point to gasoline fuel additives which have to be added in the fuel tank...

Buy Gumout All in One and get all the PEA cleaner you need PLUS a friction modifier and ethanol protection treatment not given by Seafoam or Techron.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Buy Techron and come up with other things to worry about.

There are two Techrons. Fuel injector cleaner which is low strength and for injectors only and fuel system cleaner which is also for the combustion chamber.

An interesting finding:

Same bottle as you can see looking the pictures (if you compare the photos after following both links)... If you choose USA as the country in Liqui Moly's website the product is called "Pro-Line Fuel System Cleaner", but if you choose Great Britain the name changes to "Pro-Line Fuel Injection Cleaner".

And if you follow the technical datasheet links you can be more reassured that indeed it is the same product:

I have grown quite fond of Schaeffers {Neutra} if I have any fuel dilution it will help with keeping spotless internals.

I guess after reading this I will switch back to SoyUltra.

Lubecontrols shipping with FedEx is ridiculous to my location w/FP60 & Plus and Schaeffers UltraSoy is very decently priced on Amazon. UltraSoy is a No Brainer in my case.

"I called Schaeffers and they confirmed that Neutra run in new cars will cause a code to come on because it seems to cause some kind of coating to cover the O2 sensors and the catalytic converters. They told me that Neutra should be run in older cars needing a lead replacement or for stabilizing the fuel. I have noticed since running the 131C Soy Ultra that I haven't had anymore engine codes come on."

The ones that say OXYGEN SENSOR AND cat converter safe!
And the ones that have been in business for 40 to 80yrs.

RLI Bio-Plus $43/gal at amazon currently (was just under $40 when I bought it)
maintenance treat rate of ~1oz/15gal (says 1gal for 2000gal of gas) costs $0.33 per use

Not a whole lot of info on it (reviews), except when an Audi guy was looking at preventing deposits, used Terry Dyson's help and ended up with RLI oil and fuel treatment. Their oil costs too much for me, so I'm just trying the fuel treatment.
http://renewablelube.com/products/gas-and-diesel-fuel-additives/

Otherwise, I used to stock up whenever Techron or Gumout Regane/AIO had sales/rebates.

same reason Exedrin and Exedrin Migraine are the same yet have different "allowed" dosages.
FDA requires that if they claim it is for migraines, it gets a different dosage and warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back