Two year review of '09 Crown Vic Police Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
I hated my Marquis. No legroom whatsoever in back seat with a tall front driver. Awful mileage unless you are strictly a highway cruiser. Mine had a ridiculous 2:73 rear end so it was gutless. Most overrated car by far.

I see you say yours has 3:2? gears. I could swear Interceptors had 3:55 in them.

P71 Vics had 3.27s standard and 3.55s optional.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
I wouldn't be so sure -- upon cursory inspection they look identical, right down to the intake.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
He said they were unbelievable.

9C1 Caprice:
L99 was standard @ 200HP
LT1 was an option @ 260HP

I'm not sure I have ever seen a 9C1 without the LT1. Unfortunately, the contemporary Vic had only 210HP, less torque, and tall axle gearing (I recall 3.08) that helped the higher-revving 4.6 not at all.
frown.gif

Actually, there is an easy way to tell them apart: the L99 had a single exhaust, LT1 had (true) dual exhaust.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
FL910 won't fit a 4.6. It would be FL820 or FL500.

Actually that is the part number for 2009. But only for 2009. I have no idea why but my buddy has a 2009 CVPI and that is the filter it takes. Got the 820s and had to take it back.

I just came back from a Washington State - Florida road trip on a 2001 P71 with 280k miles on odo. I have 'better' vehicles, but this is the one my wife likes the most. No need to flash a Lexus or a Benz on FL hotel parking lots. This one was bought in 2008 for $900 from an auction in Oregon. All it had a fuel pump and obligatory intake manifold replaced early on, otherwise all original. It was an administrative pool car with the standard gear ratio and 115k miles when I bought it. 7000 miles on the same oil, that had 3k miles before we started. Used up 1 quart of add-on. Hard to say what oil was used, as it was a cocktail of various leftovers:2 qts M1 0W-40, 1 qt M1 0W-20 EP, 1qt 10W-30 Redline, 2 qts Federated 5W-30, 1 qt M1 5W-30 HM. This engine doesn't care much..

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Why did you pulled all the COPs?

Since the car had ~2,000 idle hours and 60,000 miles, that equated to about 120,000 miles on the coils. I wanted avert any problems that might arise from the coils and just replace all of them. I will probably replace them again at around 180,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
FL910 won't fit a 4.6. It would be FL820 or FL500.

Actually that is the part number for 2009. But only for 2009. I have no idea why but my buddy has a 2009 CVPI and that is the filter it takes. Got the 820s and had to take it back.

I thought it would take the 820-S filter also, but after I looked in the owner's manual and the filter plate on the engine, I quickly realized only the 910 would fit.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Since the car had ~2,000 idle hours and 60,000 miles, that equated to about 120,000 miles on the coils. I wanted avert any problems that might arise from the coils and just replace all of them. I will probably replace them again at around 180,000 miles.

Thank you for clarifying. I have never replaced the COPs, except for the spitting plug cases - this happened twice in my million mile fleet. What I found working for me, may not be agrreble by many, but here it is:

Install new sparkplug boots every time you change the plugs, which is around 100k mile area. No dielectric grease, as it is impossible aply 'evenly' as so may insist, just new quality boots. Don't use the closeout boots from RockAuto, those are older than old and need a surgery to get out. The dielectric greese has a tendency to collect at certain points and surface tension of the drying blob produces axial cracks in the boots. If you have a chance to observe some old boots there, you will see this.

5W-20 with no oil consumption and/or smoke up to 400k is not possible in my experience. You need higher HTHS. it can be a regular oil, not necessarily syn, but higher in HTHS department. (old Chevy cruisers would start consume oil at 600k miles, those engines were quite robust)

Also, watch the internal surface of the rear passenger wheel. If it gets oily-greasy - it's time to replace the rear axle. it used to be the case at around 160k to 210k miles for certain years.. The right side hits the curbs more in police practice. Cracking sound there on a sharp slow turn is the first sign as well.

Anyway, good luck with your ride.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy

Thank you for clarifying. I have never replaced the COPs, except for the spitting plug cases - this happened twice in my million mile fleet. What I found working for me, may not be agrreble by many, but here it is:

Install new sparkplug boots every time you change the plugs, which is around 100k mile area. No dielectric grease, as it is impossible aply 'evenly' as so may insist, just new quality boots. Don't use the closeout boots from RockAuto, those are older than old and need a surgery to get out. The dielectric greese has a tendency to collect at certain points and surface tension of the drying blob produces axial cracks in the boots. If you have a chance to observe some old boots there, you will see this.

5W-20 with no oil consumption and/or smoke up to 400k is not possible in my experience. You need higher HTHS. it can be a regular oil, not necessarily syn, but higher in HTHS department. (old Chevy cruisers would start consume oil at 600k miles, those engines were quite robust)

Also, watch the internal surface of the rear passenger wheel. If it gets oily-greasy - it's time to replace the rear axle. it used to be the case at around 160k to 210k miles for certain years.. The right side hits the curbs more in police practice. Cracking sound there on a sharp slow turn is the first sign as well.

Anyway, good luck with your ride.

Thank you for the information Y_K

And thank you for sharing your experience.

Also, if you garage it or can keep it on a float charger by any means, your alternator will thank you.

Redline 5W-20 has HTHS = 3.0 should serve you well, if you want this grade. Even Motul Specific is too thin IMO
smile.gif

ATF: we mityvacuumed the ATF every 25k from the dipstick hole and put 4.5 to 5.0 quarts of Mercon V back into it. That's an overkill, but it proved to be a good one. Some also had U-Haul pans installed, all had Fumotized oil pans, and replenishing the PS fluid twice a year helped as well (just suck out the reservoir).

I may be wrong, but your year has Dexcool in it. We standardised on G-05, it's a BASF/Benz formula, tap water resistant (we used distilled water anyway), long lasting and gasket-friendly.

There is crownvic.net and pantherbb.com

Also, Ford Five Hundred in good condition is a fine vehicle.. Low insurance cost, 21 cubic feet trunk like the one in towncar (Chrysler 300 has 16-17, Benz Sxxx is only 14 cubic feet). It's an adaptation of Volvo P2 platform by Ford. FWD sucks, of course
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back