Two year review of '09 Crown Vic Police Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview:
I have now been driving my 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor for two years. I wanted to share my experiences and overall impression of the car.

I bought it with 62,000 miles and 2,020 idle hours; it now has 89,000 miles and 2,147 idle hours.

During my ownership I have used nothing but Mobil 1 oil and a Motorcraft FL-910S filter. I used the 5W-20 grade for about the first year and now have switched to the 0W-20 AFE. I plan to use the 0W-20 and 910-S for the remainder of the car's life, which hopefully, is around 400,000 miles. At least, that is my plan!

Mechanical:
I have had to replace the following mechanical components:

A. A/C Accumulator
B. Thermostat
C. Temp Blend Actuator Motor
D. A/C Clutch Relay

Additionally, I maintain this car very stringently. I have had the following items changed:

A. Coolant
B. Transmission Fluid
C. Rear Differential Fluid
D. Power Steering Fluid
E. PCV Valve
F. Fuel Filter
G. Serpentine Belt
H. All eight coils
I. All eight spark plugs
J. Air Filter

Performance:
Practically, everything on it is heavy-duty; cooling, suspension, wheels, frame, alternator, engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, power steering oil cooler etc. The idle speed is set slightly higher than the civilian CV at about 800 rpms. Idling for extended periods with the A/C turned on max is a non-issue. I have tested this here in Texas quite alot.
The car's 4.6L V-8 has more than adequate power for merging on the freeway and spirited accelerations. It cruises very contently at about 2,050 rpms at 70 mph (it has the 3.27 rear axle ratio).
The thing I love most about this car is the growl the V-8 makes. The factory dual exhaust with no resonators is absolutely harmonious. Stock exhaust is more than adequate for me. When the car kicks down to second from O/D the roar is truly magnificent.

Gas Mileage:
I have tracked the gas mileage the entire time I have owned it and it comes in at a lifetime average of 18.5. I have attained as high as 25 and as low as 13. On the majority of highway trips it yields 23.

Interior:

The front seats in the car are extremely comfortable and very wide. The back seat is, I have been told, equally comfortable. Due to the heavy-duty suspension, the car rides rather stiffly in comparison to the civilian model. It is something I have gotten accustomed to with no issue-on the plus side, it can handle corners very easily. The A/C is extremely cold and heat is blazing hot. The steering has a very good feel to it...not too soft or too hard. The trunk is absolutely HUGE.

Last word:

The car is simply a dream to drive, at least for me. I wouldn't want to drive anything else. As soon as this one reaches 400,000 miles, I will buy another. Replacement parts are plentiful and relatively inexpensive also.

I must give large credit to this website for giving me so much helpful oil and maintenance advice...especially posters such as tig 1, Johnny, 2010-FX4, and CATERHAM. They are a wealth of knowledge...thank you.

My CVPI assigned to me has 167,00 miles on it. Our government shop uses Napa oil and Wix filters in every vehicle. Patrol vehicles see a 3,000 OCI with non-patrol getting slightly higher OCIs. Mine is a none patrol.

CVPIs are tanks.

Last edited:
I am a bit confused about the oil filter you use. You said a FL-910s. I have two Ford 4.6s. I always thought the FL-820s was the correct oil filter for that engine. Am I missing something? Enlighten me. I know some garages and quick lube places with put the FL-400s clones on to save money. I am totally at loss with the FL-910s though.

Last edited:
Ford made another mistake dropping the CV.
Dropped the Taurus,and had to rename the Five Hundred "Taurus" to sooth angry voices.
Dropped Ranger.
Dropped Crown Vic with no replacement in general size.

I've had an 03, 06, 10, and two 11 Crown Vic's at work. The 2010 I had the longest and it was brand new when I got it. They are awesome cars. I had to go balls to the wall across the county one day. I arrived on scene and found out it was a [censored] call. After about 10 mins, I get back in the car. The ac is ice cold and the car had already cooled itself down. I have a 12 v8 charger now. Much faster, but not nearly as tough as the crown Vic's.

Not to bash the Crown Vics, but my buddy was State Trooper and he said they were are disgusted when they dropped the Chevy Caprices with the L4 vette engines. He said they were unbelievable. He said when they went to the Crown Vics they were all so surprised about the lack of power compared to the Caprices. Apparently GM was just as stupid as Ford to drop the Caprice and Ford was to drop the Panther. The police cars for the city I live in now, I am not even sure what they are but they look small and very non-intimidating.

Last edited:
Another panther fan here! Had a 94 CVLX/HPP and it was one fantastic car. 194k miles before somebody rear ended me at 70mph...

Would love to get another one day, a nice low mileage CVPI like that would be perfect. Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
He said they were unbelievable.

9C1 Caprice:
L99 was standard @ 200HP
LT1 was an option @ 260HP

The Panthers design was out dated and Ford wasn't making any money on them. Plenty of discussion on this over at blueovalnews.com

Originally Posted By: CKN
The Panthers design was out dated and Ford wasn't making any money on them. Plenty of discussion on this over at blueovalnews.com

True, but their best car. Ford has difficulty turning a profit on anything other than an F-150, so I wouldn't single out the CrownVic for that criticism.

At one point a couple of years ago, Ford's warranty expense reached about six percent of unit sales. Nearly as bad as GM, and I've seen specific reference to transmission difficulties in their 10-K.

Those who have owned the Crown Vic on the other hand, have a Honda-like brand loyalty.

PS there was a hippy around here who bought a police cruiser at auction and neatly painted a yin and yang symbol on the patch where the police shield was. It was awesome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

9C1 Caprice:
L99 was standard @ 200HP

I'm not sure I have ever seen a 9C1 without the LT1. Unfortunately, the contemporary Vic had only 210HP, less torque, and tall axle gearing (I recall 3.08) that helped the higher-revving 4.6 not at all.
frown.gif

I hated my Marquis. No legroom whatsoever in back seat with a tall front driver. Awful mileage unless you are strictly a highway cruiser. Mine had a ridiculous 2:73 rear end so it was gutless. Most overrated car by far.

I see you say yours has 3:2? gears. I could swear Interceptors had 3:55 in them.

I wouldn't be so sure -- upon cursory inspection they look identical, right down to the intake.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

9C1 Caprice:
L99 was standard @ 200HP

I'm not sure I have ever seen a 9C1 without the LT1. Unfortunately, the contemporary Vic had only 210HP, less torque, and tall axle gearing (I recall 3.08) that helped the higher-revving 4.6 not at all.
frown.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love the 4.6 Ford motor. It isn't a powerhouse, but it runs forever and has "enough" power with excellent fuel mileage. I own two of them. The Lincoln has the Intec aluminum motor with the 275 hp motor and although they may seem small by todays standard in a front wheel drive small Lincoln, it really rips.

I've thought of getting one for a tow vehicle. It would surely pull my Polaris and trailer and might be more useful as a general vehicle than an old truck or van. I think I could even fit my bicycle in the trunk ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back