Two large dogs charged at us on our walk tonight..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately some people adopt these extremely vicious dogs and use for fighting like some ex pro athlete. Dog fighting is very big $$$$ in some cities.

Last edited:
Breed specific rescues are very good. My brother and his family have adopted two male Boxers in the northern VA area. They're my favorite breed. They are high energy which is why they go to the dog park each morning for an hour. He was bit by a pit bull there and had to go to the vet for a $200 visit to get sewn up. Their previous Boxer was also bitten at the dog park by a Chow Chow which have the purple tongues.

Dogs are smart. They don’t understand a can of pepper spray unless they have been hit with a blast from one. Well...some dogs do others don’t. Many get sprayed repeatedly by skunks and don’t learn. What most if not all dogs DO know is HUMAN WITH BIG F-ING STICK!

Best thing I have even seen is wasp spray. The kind that shoots a foamy stream 15-20 feet. In the mid 90's I was attacked by a huge stray dog, and blasted him directly in the eyes with the wasp spray from about 5 feet away. I could hear him still howling and wiping his face in the tall grass 10 minutes later, LOL!
cool.gif

Forget pepper spray, you will just get it on yourself and your dog.
When I walk my dog I always carry a stun gun baton (like this... https://www.amazon.com/O-MEGA-STUN-GUNS-MS-120-S-120/dp/B072LP83RP/) for protection. This will stop an attacking dog INSTANTLY and is the top choice of power/utility companies, mail carriers, meter readers, and animal control agencies for protection against dog or other animal attacks. I bought mine after I saw a meter reader carrying one and asked him how well it worked.

That stick sure looks formidible, but the dog would have to be directly "on you" to use it. The wasp spray is effective 10-15 feet away, and just costs $5 a can.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
That stick sure looks formidible, but the dog would have to be directly "on you" to use it. The wasp spray is effective 10-15 feet away, and just costs $5 a can.

Just by hitting the power button, the loud snapping noise that it makes will keep most dogs at bay.
BTW, I did not purchase mine from Amazon, I found it for half of their price on another website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
It all depends. Nothing wrong with carrying a hiking stick.
Police here shoot any dog that charges.

I used to run at night after work (night shift) -
in the summer in Texas, it's just WAY too hot in the day.

I used to run with a 12" long piece of rebar in each hand.
I needed them at night with dogs that would chase me.

Carry a large Milkbone soaked in Milk of Magnesia instead. Let the dog owner then deal with Hershey Squirts all over their house.

Used to do that in Romania (minus the add pack) and the dogs would then go after each other over the milk bones … we’d be long gone …

Originally Posted By: Al
Some folks here seem to have a bit too much testosterone. I have had many dog encounters . I only ever recall go v ing one a swift kick. Since then he barked t a safe distance. Dogs sense fear.

Tell that to my neighbor lady. She own 2 rotties, yet the local pack nearly killed her.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: Rand
Neighbor's dog charged me 40ft in my yard..

I now carry a shovel or other yard tool if the dog is out.

Sorry you have to defend yourself in your front yard.

My parents neighbor threatened to hit their elderly husky with a shovel. He was so old that if he tried to bite someone his teeth would fall out - if he could see them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back