Two differnt gear lube questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ

First, how many of you use LC in your gear lube be it a manual tranny or an axle? I did a search earlier and found very little info on this other than it was OK, so I put about 1.5oz. in the 8.5" 10 bolt under my car today. I plan to change the gears and maybe posi in a month or so, so I wanted to clean things out. Think that is enough or should I add a little more?

Second Walmart has the Penzoil lower unit synthetic 75w-90 API GL-5 on clearance for $4 a quart. I use this in my little outboards, sure it is overkill as they put no stress on the gears but a quart will flush them a good 3+ times so it is cheap to use at the normal $6-7 price. The lable specifically note PAOs and esters as the base stock so sounds like no funny buissiness as far as truely synthetic or not.
Now here is the really stupid question laugh at me if you must, but would this be suitable for use as regular gear lube in automotive axles and such?

Both of my cars have Auburn posis so synthetic is sort of a nono anyway and I have another lube in mind for them so this question is really just curiosity.

Are they that bad a questions?
dunno.gif

Chatter is the main reason most on the model specific forums I frequent discourage synthetic with these posis. Some do use them without issue, I never took the chance on spending the money on synthetic and then maybe having to drain it because of chatter. I think you know more about lubes than most of the members on those forums combined though. I am also hoping to put an Eaton in and they discourage synthetic but I think there are a few specialty or botique gear lubes with approval. I say hoping for an Eaton for the rebuilability(is that a word?), but they have been tought to get for this axle as of late national backorder for awhile.

I got a PM answering my first question, thank you John, anyone care to take a stab at the second?

[ March 08, 2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: DJ ]

quote:

Originally posted by DJ:
I am also hoping to put an Eaton in and they discourage synthetic but I think there are a few specialty or botique gear lubes with approval.

The whole synthetic versus dino in the Eaton lockers is confusing to me.

GM uses the Eaton G80 locker and states, for my 1/2 ton Avalanche, that only their proprietary 75w-90 synthetic lube is to be used. You know, the kind that costs over $20 a quart.

Eaton has stated on their website that they "strongly recommend utilizing an API-GL5 approved Mineral-Based 80W-90 Axle Lubricant and one 4-oz bottle of Limited Slip Additive (GM or Ford)". I wrote them on this issue but got no reply.

If somebody could clear this up I would be happy to spring for lunch or beer, or both...

cheers.gif

Bob W.

"The shop that repaired the rear diff on my truck recommends synthetic so I don't know who is right. They told me they see alot of pre 1999 10 bolt chevy rearends with bearing problems because supposedly the pinion bearings in these diffs are too small. They said they don't see the problems in the new body style chevys because they use a bigger pinion bearing."

Is this of any help?

I think our HDS-5 will work fine, but I will not spend $100,000+ to have my fluid "qualified" by Eaton or anyone else.
mad.gif

Funny how money gets endorsments huh. Sort of like aftermarket parts and the CARB numbers it is all a big bribe when all that needs to matter is what comes out the tailpipe not how you got to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back