TV Bonehead needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally entered 2000 and bought a flat panel LCD TV. Nothing fancy, under the $700 budget limit. 42" LG 42L520. It's really my splurge for doing well in the market, and never paying myself from the businesses. Besides, it's almost World Cup!!

Picture is good. Need to get a HD cable box. DVD's are limited by the media (good sign). Digital cable channels very nice through the cable box. Jump the current cable box and all cable signals direct from incoming cable are nice, but no digital cable channels can be accessed without box.

Problem: Channels 2-99 are fuzzy (snowy) when using the cable box for tuning. Pretty much exactly the same as our old Sony CRT, which I assumed was shot. With the old TV, we set it to Channel 3 (vs 2 or 4) with cable box hooked up, as no other channels would work. New TV, I set to channel 3 as well.

What gives?

Dump your current cable box Tuesday morning and hook the new one up with HDMI cables. (Cable company will probably give you HD Y Pr Pb RCA cables, okay for the interim, but if you find a HDMI cable cheap (read: China-direct) it's best.)

Ch 2-99 is a vestigial analog tier for those with 5th TVs in bedrooms etc and doesn't need any cable box. Ch 3 modulation is the worst possible way in the world to get video from any box into a nice tv.

You think your picture is good now, you are only looking at standard def signals. Try some rabbit ears temporarily for the long weekend, you might pick up an over-the-air local channel in HD.
thumbsup2.gif

I hear you and that's the plan, but why shouldn't 2-99 at least be static free through the cable box, just like when I don't use the cable box? I'm not looking for crystal max clarity, just 1965 color TV clear, which it isn't, yet again without the cable box it is clear. It's not right.

Gotta be a cheap bit somewhere. Can you scrounge up some component or preferably s-video cables to clean up the SD part?

When you turn the box in they're going to dumpster it. Cable companies love leaving obsolete trash in their customers' homes, and will only upgrade when prodded.

But if you lose it they'll bill you.
27.gif

I'm a TV bonehead myself, but I suspect it's the cable from
the pedestal/pole that is at fault..loose or bad connection.
The wrong type (rating) coax will cause this also..

hmm when we got our LCD's we got an hd box from the cable company and that alone made a huge difference topped up HDMI(order these online, cost only $2-4 shipped!)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

Don't bother buying Monster or any higher priced brands because(shh its a secret) THEY ALL WORK THE SAME. Unless your running 40+ft of HDMI cable you don't need gold plating or platinum. It was also tested on CNET and other places.

Yep - it's the box. Cable phone jockey laughed when I said when we got our box (5 years ago)........said we should have a newer style one anyway. HD box shows up on Tuesday.

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
HD box shows up on Tuesday.

I have not been keeping you guys abreast of the situation. Here I sit on Sunday, over a week later and still no HD TV. Seems Tony the "cableguy" shows up with a HD Box, hoogs it up and splits.....well except Tonyguy really went to get another box, because this one is not working....and well it's been a week and Tony has not been seen. Calling the cable central daily to no avail.

Yeah I want to keep walking down the path of higher and higher tech stuff. Not. Keep it simple.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
"TV Bonehead needs help"

I thought you started a thread about Rick Sanchez Pablo!

hahahahahahhaha I spewed so violently while laughing, I think I strained my "sfincter"......(that's scientific for sphincter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back