Turning around the Titanic

Can be said of the other 49 states as well! All have pluses and minuses as you well know. I love my home state of N.C. as well and wouldn’t move to Californicate if I was given a house to live in….or tent or tarp to live under on a sidewalk :poop:or druggie infested park. I have 2 beautiful mountain ranges ( Great Smoky and Blue Ridge ) just west of me and the Atlantic Ocean just east of me and 4 distinct seasons which I love as well so I can jet ski in the summer and snow ski in the winter! Charlotte, N.C. is second only to NYC as a banking/business hub in the U.S.A. Cost of living in N.C. is low and the quality of living is high!(y)
Exactly. We are the United States, not 50 countries.

We are the United States, not 50 countries.
'These United States' as in 50 sovereign states. Each having jurisdiction over everything within its borders while adhering only to the enumerated powers of the federal constitution. Very different idea from being just a national jigsaw puzzle.

usa.jpg

Yep. We understand a multi-faceted approach offers the best solution.

I’m not sure I understand. This plant is the last nuke plant and it is scheduled to be shut down. They just extended it a bit further now, but it is still scheduled to be shut down.

After it is shut down, CA will not have any nuke power plants and will loose that facet of electricity production.

So by eliminating facets one by one, you take it as “we understand a multi-faceted approach”? Help me out here cause I’m not following your logic.

I’m not sure I understand. This plant is the last nuke plant and it is scheduled to be shut down. They just extended it a bit further now, but it is still scheduled to be shut down.

After it is shut down, CA will not have any nuke power plants and will loose that facet of electricity production.

So by eliminating facets one by one, you take it as “we understand a multi-faceted approach”? Help me out here cause I’m not following your logic.
It means we need to study issues and ertertain possible solutions. When we get it wrong, we need to correct and alter that plan. The research I cited and the resulting decision is an example of that.
I believe reversing the Diablo Canyon closing was a step in the right decision. What will happen going forward? Time will tell.

It means we need to study issues and ertertain possible solutions. When we get it wrong, we need to correct and alter that plan. The research I cited and the resulting decision is an example of that.
I believe reversing the Diablo Canyon closing was a step in the right decision. What will happen going forward? Time will tell.

Yeah, except you are praising your state for it where it is basically sheer luck that someone at the university took interest in this decision and decided to study its implications. Unless you can prove that the study was requested by the decision makers. I looked at the funding foot notes and CA government or its associates was nowhere to be found.

Normally you conduct these studies before making a decision, not years after.

Yeah, except you are praising your state for it where it is basically sheer luck that someone at the university took interest in this decision and decided to study its implications. Unless you can prove that the study was requested by the decision makers. I looked at the funding foot notes and CA government or its associates was nowhere to be found.

I regret that we only have two - but the nuclear plant serving my area received a 20 year permit extension in 2017.

Keeping Diablo Canyon open has been a HUGE fight, and there was a massive social media campaign undertaken to garner public sentiment and support. When Newsom saw this as something he could leverage politically; when he saw that saving the plant would be politically popular, he pivoted and began supporting it.

The credit needs to go to people like Paris Ortiz-Wines, Madi Hilly, Alyssa Hayes, Mark Nelson, Eric Meyer and Michael Shellenberger who have been pushing so hard and taking down the anti nuke talking points politely with facts and figures and educating people.

Keeping Diablo Canyon open has been a HUGE fight, and there was a massive social media campaign undertaken to garner public sentiment and support. When Newsom saw this as something he could leverage politically; when he saw that saving the plant would be politically popular, he pivoted and began supporting it.

The credit needs to go to people like Paris Ortiz-Wines, Madi Hilly, Alyssa Hayes, Mark Nelson, Eric Meyer and Michael Shellenberger who have been pushing so hard and taking down the anti nuke talking points politely with facts and figures and educating people.

This is truly great news and a step in the right direction for sure.

It’s just Jeff’s statement “yup, we understand multi-faceted approach” just rubbed me the wrong way. Because if that’s were true, there would be no discussion about shutting down these nukes in the first place.

And I’m not trying to single out CA here because, as you’re more than aware of, other states, provinces, cough, Ontario, cough…, are doing the same. It’s an agenda, not data driven decision making.

But when someone turns around and says, “look we made one decision and then reversed it using studies and facts, so we truly do look at all options”, it’s just so disingenuous. You see yourself how Newsom used this for his political gains.

I’m just surprised Jeff doesn’t see it.

But when someone turns around and says, “look we made one decision and then reversed it using studies and facts, so we truly do look at all options”, it’s just so disingenuous. You see yourself how Newsom used this for his political gain
Disingenuous no.....Its good to be malleable in ones thinking. The right decision was made in the end...who cares how it was arrived at....unless one just likes to find fault with those they don't like for what ever reason. Try to find the good in everything. Even with those ya don't like.

My cousins live in the San Diego area. When they come to visit they tell me a house like mine would go for $800k to $1 million. I live in a modest house of 1500 SF and less than a 1/4 acre of land. I paid a very small fraction of that. That blew my mind.
Similar to what the people I work with in the Valley have told me about my place; I’ve got just under 3.25 acres, 1500SF and a couple 700SF outbuildings. People in the Valley tell me my place would be north of $1.5M when in reality I literally paid $1.00 over 5 figures.

I like visiting California; the scenery is great, national parks are amazing; food & drink can be unparalleled in places; but the overall people & traffic density is just waaaaay too high for me. I also don’t agree with the state taking half my earnings to subsidize their policies that run afoul of freedom. I’ll stay in rural Indiana which is still a great state for manufacturing and businesses and costs about half.

Back