Turkey cooking.....

Classic oven baked, deep fried, smoked? Trying something new this year. Will see how it turns out.

I have made superb turkeys with all methods.

Smoked on the grill is quite good if you've never done it, and less of a production and cost than deep-frying if you don't have the equipment and want to lay out for the oil (check the cost on that before you go "all-in" on that). This is a SUPERB oven method, btw - people are always impressed and ask me what I did. I've been doing this for almost 20 years if it's not fried or grilled/smoked:

The "secret ingredient" is the cheesecloth. Really. You'll understand if you read the recipes (allows for amazing basting).

If you do go with the fryer, a great way to entertain the kiddos: Deep fry weird stuff afterwards. Sweet pickles. Twinkies, etc. Really tasty and fun.

Turkey is just such a bland, uninspired bird. If it's gotta be turkey, herb-brined and oven-roasted is the way to go. I'd much rather eat any other bird, especially goose, duck, grouse, pheasant, or just a high quality chicken. I haven't eaten turkey in probably 5 years. And I loathe smoked turkey legs. It's like gnawing mummified flesh clinging to a bone. The only turkey I enjoy is Wild Turkey, especially Russel's Reserve.

Last edited:
Brined and cooked in an infra-red 'fryer'. I don't think its better than a deep-fried bird, but it is close and way less hassle and mess.

Classic oven baked, deep fried, smoked? Trying something new this year. Will see how it turns out.

try the slow cook method, it is awesome and completely safe

Turkey.pdf (baz.org)

How to Cook a Turkey Overnight | Williams-Sonoma Taste (williams-sonoma.com)

Matt's Thanksgiving Turkey....

1 cup white wine
1 Tablespoon Mrs Dash Original seasoning
1 Tablespoon dried onion flakes or 1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups No Sodium Chicken Broth
Small turkey breast
Cook in 325-350 oven to 160º F
If it’s small enough, you can fix your turkey breast in a 7 or 8 quart Crock Pot...
Free up the oven for other things....

I agree that turkey can be bland which is also why it can take just about any seasoning well. This year, the plan is to coat it in mustard (to grab and hold seasoning) and season with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Wrap and let sit overnight in the fridge. Then unwrap, season further with honey and crushed pecans, and in the smoker with cherry wood for ~8 hours. When the deepest part of the breast and thigh have reached 165°F, I pull it out of the smoker and in the oven on broil for just a few minutes to crisp the outside.

I'm branching out this year and trying a smoked turkey. Brine for 24 hours, season, smoke, and baste. I'd never done it before, however, so I had to try it out on a "practice" turkey last weekend. Turned out really, really good!

Attachments

• 20201024_161120.jpg
    20201024_161120.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 7
I agree that turkey can be bland which is also why it can take just about any seasoning well. This year, the plan is to coat it in mustard (to grab and hold seasoning) and season with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Wrap and let sit overnight in the fridge. Then unwrap, season further with honey and crushed pecans, and in the smoker with cherry wood for ~8 hours. When the deepest part of the breast and thigh have reached 165°F, I pull it out of the smoker and in the oven on broil for just a few minutes to crisp the outside.
Sure, bland food takes seasoning well and turkey depends on good seasoning The point of seasoning is however to enhance and complement the flavor of the food. I will say that wild turkey, I am talking about the bird this time, is actually has a lot more flavor than farmed turkey and is not bad. I still consider it a poor choice over some other more tasty avians. I do enjoy the sight of big roasted turkey on the dinner table and I will have some of it with a lot of cranberries.

A local meat market collects orders ahead… and is smoking ours this weekend … my wife and son can both make my mom’s dressing and giblet gravy …

Most farmed turkey is disgusting or tasteless. Smoking (after brine) is not bad, anything to get real flavor.

Turkey Molé

Sure, bland food takes seasoning well and turkey depends on good seasoning The point of seasoning is however to enhance and complement the flavor of the food. I will say that wild turkey, I am talking about the bird this time, is actually has a lot more flavor than farmed turkey and is not bad. I still consider it a poor choice over some other more tasty avians. I do enjoy the sight of big roasted turkey on the dinner table and I will have some of it with a lot of cranberries.

The farm-raised vs wild turkey I will completely agree with. I miss wild turkey.

Never had deep fried turkey but regardless, brining with seasonings is the only way to go. It makes the turkey, or chicken, very moist.

I’ve heard great things from people who’ve used the infrared method. My only hesitation with the char-broil IR cooker is it doesn’t have a natural gas version. My patio is plumbed for NG so I’m done w/ the tank exchange dance.

We do the brine method but oven roast.

I changed course on my preparation for tomorrow. I took a whole stick of butter, cut it up, and stuck pieces of it under the skin and on the inside. I sliced up an orange to stuff in it as well. I now have the bird in the fridge with a dry brine of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, thyme, oregano, paprika, tumeric, and granulated honey. It'll be going in the smoker at ~9am tomorrow over a mix of apple and cherry wood.

Back