Turkey baking analysis

For those of you frying your bird. What do you do with the oil afterward and do you use the fryer only once or twice a year?
In my case, I strain it no matter what and reuse it later. I usually either use the oil for the next bird (I do several throughout the year, for myself and for friends who get a random craving in April, a birthday, etc.), or I use it in my deep fryer on foods that don't matter too much. I rarely use my deep fryer, so it works out well to just pour some, fry whatever I want, then either strain it again or toss it depending on it's condition.

Because I only use 100% peanut oil, no matter what, I always get my money's worth out of it. Wasting peanut oil should be a crime.

And a must have kitchen necessity for making great gravy we could have pages on how to make great gravy alone
20181122_182040.jpg

And a must have kitchen necessity for making great gravy we could have pages on how to make great gravy aloneView attachment 35545
Yep, I showed my mom how to use one of those. She roasted a “conventional” turkey this year. She draped a butter-soaked cheesecloth over it. Hence the reason for that tool.

I opted a have a friend smoke a 9lb one I bought at Whole Foods while I painted his room. It turned out well after an overnight brining and a rundown with a garlic pepper rub.

Yep, I showed my mom how to use one of those. She roasted a “conventional” turkey this year. She draped a butter-soaked cheesecloth over it. Hence the reason for that tool.

I opted a have a friend smoke a 9lb one I bought at Whole Foods while I painted his room. It turned out well after an overnight brining and a rundown with a garlic pepper rub.
I don't ditch all that fat along with butter I use a bit in my roux for my gravy.

I have a 22lbs Butterball in the oven and gonna fry a 12 lbs bird just about when the Butterball is done. ;)

Final analysis from last year: even the best part of my oven roasted turkey is not something the kids like to eat, so I bought a roasted chicken from Safeway this year, and everyone loves it.

its an oldie post but I'd just like to say as a turkey noob. You can go super easy and get great turkey.

Brine bird overnight 12-36hours in fridge after thawed.. can use bag or pot.. can use kit or make your own brine.

Remove from fridge, rinse with cold water , drain. Drain some more.. Pat dry inside and out.

try to use less than whole roll of paper towels.

Slather on seasoning.. I used "buttery poultry mix" with some olive oil.

Put in over bag... follow directions

Bake about 2.33-3hours@350 for 14lb'er

Temp a breast should be 170-180.
dont believe the plastic popup.. they are not reliable.

Let rest for 20min.

Carve .. it falls apart like rotisserie chicken.

For additional taste feel free to stuff with some veggies citrus etc.

also the drippings in the bag are perfect for gravy if you want to make homemade.

FWIW: overdone is just right for me.. I dont like it to be even close to undercooked.. also the bag locks in alot of flavor and moisture.. brining is still good but more optional. I am sure there are 100 different ways to get even better turkey.. but this is safe and better than restaurant anytime.

Last edited:
I’ve BBQed a Costco turkey for the neighbors. Indirect heat, a mix of Kingsford Pro charcoal with almond and pecan chunks. The turkey was rubbed down with garlic salt and butter. About 3 hours at 300-400. Turned out fine.

Next, I have a 14lb Whole Foods branded turkey at the parents I’ll use a dry brining method from NYT Cooking.

Final analysis from last year: even the best part of my oven roasted turkey is not something the kids like to eat, so I bought a roasted chicken from Safeway this year, and everyone loves it.
A deep-fried turkey will change everyone's mind.

Back