"Tuning" 2.7 L ecoboost & engine oil

Hi All,

I'm considering, but have long-term reliability concerns, with applying a 5 star tune to my 2.7 ecoboost in an F150. I'm curious though, has anyone done used oil analysis pre and post tune, do they show an increase in wear?

Thanks,

-kehyler

If you did that, oil would be the least of your concerns. Blowing a head gasket and melting pistons would be the real issues. (Spun bearings, anyone?)

Certainly you would follow the advice of about every high-performance car (Mustang, Corvette, RS, etc.) maker when it comes to racing or any high performance driving and raise the viscosity up one grade to help compensate for the extra heat and torque.

I wouldn't do it. If you every have a problem the dealership can tell it's been tuned and will de-activate your warranty on the engine, transmission, and rear end because you put more power to the power train. If you bring it back to stock tune before bringing it to the dealership they can tell that too. I am assuming a 5 star tune is outside the factory guidelines or you would have the dealership do it. I have never heard of a 5 star tune but do own the 5.0 liter Ford engine in an F-150.

The 2.7 tuned can produce quite a bit more power, on the magnitude of 400-450 hp.

I ran a tune on my Taurus SHO which had the 1st gen transverse 3.5 EcoBoost, and used non-synth 5W-30 that met the Ford spec. Blackstone recommended I keep the same OCI's, which was 6k miles. Even at 6k miles, the TBN was low (about 2) but the viscosity was below the expected range, and had some fuel dilution. But this was non-synth Pennzoil and Valvoline 5W-30.

I had a 5star tune in my 2009 F150 5.4l. Not for performance, but to improve the terrible shifting of the 6r80 in stock form, and bring up the idle speed. It worked very well. There is a lot left on the table with the 2.7 and it's graphite block should have no issues handling it. 5star does offer an engine warranty with some of their tunes if you buy your device through stage 3 motorsports. I really enjoyed the tune on my 5.4 truck and would have no issues tuning my 3.5 eco once warranty is up. I use(d) edge 0w40 in both my 2009 and 2016.

https://5startuning.com/5-star-warranty-tunes/

Last edited:
5 star tunes are some of the safest out there. [censored] you can even buy a warranty for the engine and trans from them. But of course, that tune is more limited. Most dealerships won't check, unless there is a huge sore thumb sticking out. If you go over to f150ecoboost.net you will see a lot of us are tuned and have zero issues.

Good to hear the warranty is usually good. On a Corvette if it's been tuned you are SOL on any warranty repairs. Lots of owners buy used cars and get it in writing from the dealership that it has NEVER been tuned. Otherwise if that engine or trans blows its your dime. GM diesels are like this too.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Good to hear the warranty is usually good. On a Corvette if it's been tuned you are SOL on any warranty repairs. Lots of owners buy used cars and get it in writing from the dealership that it has NEVER been tuned. Otherwise if that engine or trans blows its your dime. GM diesels are like this too.

You think they would be more understanding? Those are two prominent tuning platforms for work and play. I mean, who gets a corvette and keeps it stock? Or a truck? Or really anything for that matter lol

I took my truck into the dealership to get my 4wd fixed and the manager told me how many trucks they see and how much money they put into them. I asked them do you mind if they are tuned? He said no as long as it doesn't look like you pushed it to the ragged edge (i.e. drag tires, bigger turbos...etc) because a lot of people tune and just use them for work.

Now if anything happens, I will see first hand lol I hope that never happens though.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Some people get lucky I guess. You don't need to tune a Corvette. Just get the Z/06 650 hp stock is good enough for for most people.

I know for a fact. Whether it is a mazda3 or a Z06... I would not be able to leave it alone. Especially a Corvette in any trim or package lol.

Ford messed up the shift schedule on my 2018 Explorer XLT. It would hunt through gears like crazy and not go into OD gears unless I was doing over 40-50 mph. I can now cruise in 5th gear at 30 mph and the shift schedules are corrected. I fixed the Sport mode shift schedules as well.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Ford messed up the shift schedule on my 2018 Explorer XLT. It would hunt through gears like crazy and not go into OD gears unless I was doing over 40-50 mph. I can now cruise in 5th gear at 30 mph and the shift schedules are corrected. I fixed the Sport mode shift schedules as well.

I personally liked how my 6r80 shifted in my 13 f150. But tuned made it that much better.
What trans is in the explorer? Is it the 10r80?

My 6R80 shifts great. Maybe someone before me had it tuned? I wouldn't think so though because the motor does not have a ton of power. It does all right but it's not going to blow anyone's socks off.

I don't have 2.7, but my 16' 3.5l have been tuned since a month after I got it, right now I have 90k miles on it and no issues what so ever, I run tunes from Unleashed, MPT, SSI, the most aggressive ones that they have.
As far as oil, Castrol 0w40 changed every 6k miles.
Forgot to add, never have to add drop of oil in between changes, so I'm either super lucky with getting properly built motor, or they just way stronger that people realize

Hi All,

I'm considering, but have long-term reliability concerns, with applying a 5 star tune to my 2.7 ecoboost in an F150. I'm curious though, has anyone done used oil analysis pre and post tune, do they show an increase in wear?

Thanks,

-kehyler
5 Star tunes are very safe. My 2018 3.5EB was tuned from new until 60000kms when i traded it in for my now current 2020 3.5EB... this one is tuned now too... im running their 91 Performance tune.... Its not only just the higher engine output but the trans tune is optimized as well... they do such an incredible job that the OVERALL drivability is excellent, even when driving sensibly the truck feels much more lively and responsive, no more skip shifts or engine lugging....do it, you'll love it... their service support is excellent too.

As for oil, ive only run M1 0w40 FS in the summer and M1 AFE 0w30 in the winter.... my UOAs have been excellent since day one for my 2018, also zero fuel dilution.... Haven't done s UOA on my 2020, still breaking in

Zero fuel dilution on a DI Turbo motor is impossible. Blackstone just does a really bad job checking for it. I suspect if you used a lab that used a better method for determining fuel dilution, you'd see some fuel.

Back