Tuff-Torq K51

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an early 2000's model Simplicity 15.5hp 38" riding mower with the Tuff-Torq K51 Hydrostat. I bought it used earlier this year for mowing roughly 2/3acre. It has a really tight turning radius and the deck is small enough to fit through the pedestrian gate in my backyard fence.

The problem I have is that it barely moves in reverse. Forward seems to have plenty of power and speed, but backwards crawls and is totally gutless. It will not back up any grade at all.

I did a transmission oil change using Rotella T6 and it really didn't change anything one way or the other.

Has anyone seen anything similar in a Tuff-Torq?

Thanks,
Sam

Sam, mostly likely you have a linkage issue. If the unit goes forward full speed, the hydro itself is fine. Normally how the linkage system is setup, what ever speed you gain forward, you'll loose in reverse. Being 8-10yrs/old you probably have something worn or out of adjustment for the reverse pedal linkage.

Joel

I'd agree it is probably a linkage adjustment. I don't know how to fix your problem, but I'm pretty sure there are similar threads on mytractorforum.com. Nice Simplicity group over there. BTW, TT recommends 5w-50 for replacement fluid.

If it is a Regent, the lever that bolts to the trans, has a slot. You need to adjust it at that point, to get the full movement for forward and reverse. It's a real pain, because their is not alot of room to get wrenches in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back