TSX PS Pump leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably gonna hafta swap out the PS Pump on our 2006 TSX with 190K. It is leaking...
I hate remans, if I get one I believe NAPA is a good choice.
Cordone is junk.

Does anyone still rebuild originals?
I f you know of a good brand, please chime in.

Thanks in advance.

Googled TSX power steering pump, and first option is pump rebuild kit. Seals apparently. Sound like the issue? Or just something you're not interested in tackling? I'll add, have no idea how difficult it is.

Edit. Just watched of a really good youtube on the pump rebuild procedure for the 2.4L. Looks fairly involved and meticulous effort required. Fairly certain not something I would tackle.

Btw, I like that generation TSX, before they bloated it.

Last edited:
I am just curious, have you replaced PS fluid frequently? Its all over the place, some people run that car forever without issues and some have reported issue with PS pump failures or a rack and pinion(read somewhere), which can be a pain.

I would definitely lean towards NAPA.

I LOVE these cars
thumbsup2.gif

I cleaned the pump earlier this morning. Gonna watch it but it is definitely leaking.
Filled the reservoir a month ago; today it was under the lower add line.
I could swap it in no time, but I hate remans.
I found a local rebuilder; I remember they worked for me years ago.

@Subie - what o rings are you talking about? The supply and pressure lines?
Heck, even a programmer like me can do that.

Thanks for your guidance.

Lares part number 3344 from Rock Auto is a return-and-rebuild service. They rebuild your OE pump.

You can get a new OEM pump for about $600 from online Acura dealers. 56110-PND-003

There are new Chinese pumps on eBay

I replaced the steering rack in my 06 back in '12 or so. It had just over 100k on it at the time, I think. The steering pump has been cranky in cold weather for the past 3 or 4 winters, but no leaks.

If you trust the local guy and he's decent on price, I'd go that route.

This happened last week.
smile.gif

250k.JPG

Those pumps are not hard to reseal, The only strange thing about their construction is the sealed bearing with the shaft seal behind the bearing.

A Brass Hammer or Drift, Snap-Ring pliers, Impact to get the pulley off, Awl, Metric socket set, 10mm Allen key/socket, & Hemostats are the only tools needed.

IIRC....The factory front bearing is made by NTN, If it's in good shape reuse it. If not.....Find a NTN replacement!

Maval rebuilds are decent but WP is showing no availability for your application. At least not at the current moment.

Resealing the pump is probably your best option.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Maval rebuilds are decent but WP is showing no availability for your application. At least not at the current moment.

Resealing the pump is probably your best option.

Maval does have a PS Pump for a 2006 TSX. Part number 96358M. It appears on Maval's site mavalgear.com
smile.gif

Amazon has it for about $180

I replaced the O rings on my 2000 Accord PS pump it seemed to fix the leak. It wasn't too bad, just need to take your time with the vanes that fall out and put them back correctly.

Thanks to all who posted. The TSX pump is nothing special; the engine is the mighty K24. I will probably have the pump rebuilt locally as they have a great reputation.
Of course, it is nice to R&R the part.

Hey, maybe some stop leak magic?

Just went out and checked the pump. Started it up and the 2 halves split started to leak withing 1 minute.
TBT, I think the started is starting to drag. Just starting, but they seem to get worse before they get better.

After we got the Tesla Model 3 (last Thursday) 4 people have asked to buy the TSX.
Ain't for sale.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The PS pump has been serviced. The leaking fluid is nice and clear.
Sheesh.
So am I to take it that the pump rebuild was a fail? Or, you just replaced fluid?

As for that gen TSX, awhile back saw a lady in a local grocery store parking lot and struck up a conversation about hers. It was in nice shape, white with tan interior. Said she liked hers but was looking for a new ride, something bigger. Still kicking myself for not exchanging phone numbers if she decided to sell or trade.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
The PS pump has been serviced. The leaking fluid is nice and clear.
Sheesh.
So am I to take it that the pump rebuild was a fail? Or, you just replaced fluid?

As for that gen TSX, awhile back saw a lady in a local grocery store parking lot and struck up a conversation about hers. It was in nice shape, white with tan interior. Said she liked hers but was looking for a new ride, something bigger. Still kicking myself for not exchanging phone numbers if she decided to sell or trade.

Apologize for the confusing post. The fluid has been replaced. The pump is untouched from the factory.
I know I am probably overthinking this, but I just might get a junk yard pump and then have fun learning how to rebuild this one.
All good and thank for all the guidance.

Update - bought a cheapo new pump from Amazon for $70 or $80.
Installed today, easy peasey; barely had to bleed it.

Gonna see if it lasts; if it starts to go south I will take the original to a local rebuilder and send back the cheapie.
I might even buy a $20 kit and pull it apart myself, just for fun.
FYI, it is a super easy swap:
crack loose the pulley nut 19mm
release serpentine belt and use a bungee cord to keep it taunt.
remove pulley nut and pully
remove fluid inlet hose via spring clamp; drip fluid all over.
remove pressure line, 2 10mm bolts
remove 2 12mm bolts and remove ps pump

torque settings 12mm is 17 pound feet; 10mm is 8 pound feet

Thanks for all the advice.

Update - bought a cheapo new pump from Amazon for $70 or $80.
Installed today, easy peasey; barely had to bleed it.

Gonna see if it lasts; if it starts to go south I will take the original to a local rebuilder and send back the cheapie.
I might even buy a $20 kit and pull it apart myself, just for fun.
FYI, it is a super easy swap:
crack loose the pulley nut 19mm
release serpentine belt and use a bungee cord to keep it taunt.
remove pulley nut and pully
remove fluid inlet hose via spring clamp; drip fluid all over.
remove pressure line, 2 10mm bolts
remove 2 12mm bolts and remove ps pump

torque settings 12mm is 17 pound feet; 10mm is 8 pound feet

Thanks for all the advice.

good choice.
i have a 2004 TSX. the PS was leaking slowly but I just ignore, the leak get worse and so I order some o rings from Acura, watch some youtube; replace the o rings. replace the o rings is very simple. one of the common issue is the o ring at the inlet/outlet area. ya, it's 15 year old car going 16 and the exhaust is falling apart, but we still love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back