TSA pre-check status and considerations

I do agree that at small regional airports this isn't as much of an issue as the major hubs. I'm in Richmond, VA and our airport security is typically vs. efficient but still, I prefer the pre-check to give me any reduction in time I can have. Folks are talking about ~$80 here but will spend hundreds on unnecessary oil changes. So run out that next change a few my K and it's paid for.

If the wife is hot it may save her from pat downs by the TSA agents. They seem to always randomly select hot women for pat downs.
I got patted down three times in three weeks, by the same guy. He remembered me because of a funny I said when he asked if there was anything he should know before he patted me down the first time. My wife didn't think it was all that funny. No, I will not say what I said, but he couldn't stop laughing when he was patting me down. Twice more I was randomly selected and by the third time him and I were both laughing and making fun of the system.

Last edited:
My home airport is Midway, and had they not improved the security lanes there a few years ago I probably would have gotten pre-check eventually. The old facility was awful! Now it's usually a non-issue.

Fun fact: When the regular lines are really full and the pre-check lines are light, sometimes agents would randomly select people from the regular lines to go through pre-check instead. I used to try to get picked by staying in the far right line at MDW, carrying-on minimal bags, always flying alone, etc, etc. I got picked more than a few times. I think they did away with the random free upgrades eventually though.

If Indy is your home airport then yes for her just because you are a good husband, definitely not for you. Indy security is fast and easy. This is coming from someone with Pre-check, Clear, Global Entry, Nexus. At Indy, allow yourself 10 extra minutes (note not during Indy, Christmas, Spring Break etc) and you are through. Save the cash!
Indy just put in some of those automated feeder setups at least in the pre check side. It’s always been a decent airport to go in and out of imo.

I think it makes sense for my wife, for sure.

Not that I haven't wasted money before, but $78 for a one time effort to save me 1/2 hour at an airport doesn't seem cost effective for me. Again - I only anticipate to travel this one time in the foreseeable future. The pre-check lasts 5 years and then has to be renewed again for $70 (today's cost). By the time I might fly again, my pre-check would almost certainly be expired and I'd have to apply again anyway.

I'm leaning towards yes for her and no for me. I have yet to hear a convincing argument for me to get one.
dn3: Check the list below to see if you have a Credit Card that will cover a 5-year TSA Pre-Check membership for free (or partially).

1687541033550.jpg

Nukeman7 - thanks for the homework! Unfortunately I don't have one of those cards. But I do appreciate the effort.

My wife is going to do it for sure; simply makes sense as she travels often.

For me, I've decided no. Even though I can sign-up for the approval online, I still have to go to one of the processing places and get the final deed done. The proper way to do it would be for me to do it soon (well before our Hawaii trip), which means I have to drive about 30 min each way..... Plus the time spent to actually do the approval process (about another fifteen minutes). Plus I'd have to pay for parking at the airport to get into the approval center, plus the time to park and walk to/from the center ... You see where this is going, don't you?

There's no logic to me spending 1.5 hours to get a $78 single-use item, which is likely to save me 1/2 hour in the "regular" line. That's just plain silly.

My precheck is free, I think because I have Global Entry. It was free when I was active duty.

Look, if you’re going to pay $80 for five years, then just get Global entry - $100 for five years.

Global entry takes a few seconds to authenticate you, once you’re at the kiosks. The line is anywhere from 0-5 minutes.

Regular passengers often take over an hour, I’ve seen it take three hours. One international trip makes Global entry worth it.

You keep getting false information about the cost of this, as well as doing the final interview portion.

My wife is getting her global entry interview done here in Norfolk. There is no parking fee, it doesn’t take her more than 15 minutes to get to the site, and the cost is $100. Sure, she gets TSA pre-check because she’s a government civilian, but she will retire soon. And she will have global entry for five years, so that every time we travel internationally, instead of spending hours, repeat hours, plural, in line, she breezes through…

In minutes.

Finally, spending the minutes now, when you have time, in order to gain those minutes when you’re rushed, your rental car process was slow, or you’re late for a flight, is a very worthwhile exchange. It’s like putting money in the bank, it’s there when you need it.

Leaving your shoes and jacket on, leaving your liquids and gels, and electronics, in the bag, makes for a totally different security experience even if you're not rushed.

Last edited:
It is fairly easy now.
There are multiple biometric facility available every where, at least where I live (10 minutes).
When I did it pre-covid, I had to go to the DFW airport for this purpose (45 minutes).

My daughter just did hers, it took her 2 days to get approved.
When I did it, it took around 3-4 weeks to get approved.

It is definitely eliminate the hassle of TSA line since you don't have to unpack your luggage and take off the shoes.

My precheck is free, I think because I have Global Entry. It was free when I was active duty.

Look, if you’re going to pay $80 for five years, then just get Global entry - $100 for five years.

Global entry takes a few seconds to authenticate you, once you’re at the kiosks. The line is anywhere from 0-5 minutes.

Regular passengers often take over an hour, I’ve seen it take three hours. One international trip makes Global entry worth it.

You keep getting false information about the cost of this, as well as doing the final interview portion.

My wife is getting her global entry interview done here in Norfolk. There is no parking fee, it doesn’t take her more than 15 minutes to get to the site, and the cost is $100. Sure, she gets TSA pre-check because she’s a government civilian, but she will retire soon. And she will have global entry for five years, so that every time we travel internationally, instead of spending hours, repeat hours, plural, in line, she breezes through…

In minutes.

Finally, spending the minutes now, when you have time, in order to gain those minutes when you’re rushed, your rental car process was slow, or you’re late for a flight, is a very worthwhile exchange. It’s like putting money in the bank, it’s there when you need it.

Leaving your shoes and jacket on, leaving your liquids and gels, and electronics, in the bag, makes for a totally different security experience even if you're not rushed.
100%. I need to get the Global Entry...this post is going to force me to do it. I travel internationally a few times a year. I agree 100% with your take here - this is a v. simple process to do and not having to remove my shoes, worry about carry on etc. etc. is more time for me to have that drink at the bar before my flight. At what I charge my clients an hour, I've spent 2x the pre check reading this. It's $80. I can bet he will use it more than 1x in the next 5 years.

Sentry membership plus the application fee.

Should have looked at the global entry which is $250
You gotta’ stop mis-representing this.

Global Entry is $100.

I joined it decades ago, it’s been $100 since then. My wife is getting it. It is $100.

When you’re Global, you become TSA Precheck as well.

I never did it. Fly twice per week. But it is rare I have any wait when and where I fly from. 6AM is a big no-no. That's when there is a line. 8PM out of HPN, no line what so ever.

The interview/biometric was honestly no big deal for us.

There are offices all over the place here that do it. We went to an insurance agency a few towns over, walked in, and I don't think it was more than 10 total for my wife and I both. There was no parking fee-the insurance agency was in a strip mall(or maybe a stand-alone building but nothing fancy) and we parked out front and walked in.

Even flying once or twice a year, precheck is worth it to not have to unpack and undress your bags. We've found on the whole the TSA agents are much friendlier.

I don’t have Precheck and have never unpacked a bag. Take the laptop out, yes. It depends on how you are prepared.

Having said that, Precheck is faster. It also depends on the airport. SEA sometimes has the lines stretching out from outside the terminal.

Nukeman7 - thanks for the homework! Unfortunately I don't have one of those cards. But I do appreciate the effort.

My wife is going to do it for sure; simply makes sense as she travels often.

For me, I've decided no. Even though I can sign-up for the approval online, I still have to go to one of the processing places and get the final deed done. The proper way to do it would be for me to do it soon (well before our Hawaii trip), which means I have to drive about 30 min each way..... Plus the time spent to actually do the approval process (about another fifteen minutes). Plus I'd have to pay for parking at the airport to get into the approval center, plus the time to park and walk to/from the center ... You see where this is going, don't you?

There's no logic to me spending 1.5 hours to get a $78 single-use item, which is likely to save me 1/2 hour in the "regular" line. That's just plain silly.
There's just no chance of ROI in this case, too much rigmarole.

I don’t have Precheck and have never unpacked a bag. Take the laptop out, yes. It depends on how you are prepared.

Having said that, Precheck is faster. It also depends on the airport. SEA sometimes has the lines stretching out from outside the terminal.
I’m exaggerating a bit, but I nearly always have at least one camera and a couple of lenses in my bag.

The cameras are definitely “electronics larger than a cell phone” and I’ve had varying interpretations as to whether or not unattached lenses are. It’s easier to pull them out than to have an agent decide they are and pitch a fit because you left them.

There's just no chance of ROI in this case, too much rigmarole.

Agreed. For him, with one flight in 15 years it is not worth the time it takes to apply and get screened. My Amex covers the fee but I fly quite a bit more so it’s beneficial. Even if it were free I wouldn’t bother for the OP’s usage.

I have a security clearance and fly with my government ID. Had to do a one-time "connection" between two government agencies and now I have Pre-check or its equivalent.

Wife doesn't have it. Lines move about the same. I wouldn't pay for this supposed convenience for light use. There are enough glitches in air travel and a TSA-related one is minor, IMO.

Back