Trio of TOTO's

I just put Toto toilets in my house. I found a local supply place that sells me the Toto Drake model for not much more than a Kohler or American Standard from Home Depot. I started out with one Drake because it was the only one I could find in Bone, and ended up getting 2 more. The quality is noticeably better than the American Standards I would normally buy from the box store.

American Standard used to be the top dog in quality and I'd say they've fallen to 3rd place behind Kohler and Toto.

American Standard used to be the top dog in quality and I'd say they've fallen to 3rd place behind Kohler and Toto.

That’s a shame too. Just out of curiosity I had to research them.

American Standard is just a brand name owned by Lixil Global headquartered in Nagoya Japan. They have several plumbing brands including Grohe.

Their business is housing which includes everything to do with a house including plumbing.

That’s a shame too. Just out of curiosity I had to research them.

American Standard is just a brand name owned by Lixil Global headquartered in Nagoya Japan. They have several plumbing brands including Grohe.

Their business is housing which includes everything to do with a house including plumbing.

It is. I had very good luck with their product for decades (is there an upper limit on toilet longevity from a wear perspective?)

If you look at modern comparisons they dont seem to do as good a job with the flush and bowl clean.

What surprised me was their product finish looked marginal in places and somewhat thin in the casting/ molding.

Still a top three brand, but definitely fallen from its high position.

Uh, I don't know if I like the idea of wiring my crapper up to 110V AC. Could be a "shocking" experience! :cool:

It has been a while since I’ve shopped for toilets. About 15 years ago I bought three and had to pick carefully. The bottom on one was not straight.

Most people don’t inspect before buying because a plumber does the install so if something is not right it’s the plumber’s time wasted getting another one. When I install I make sure at the store.

It has been a while since I’ve shopped for toilets. About 15 years ago I bought three and had to pick carefully. The bottom on one was not straight.

Most people don’t inspect before buying because a plumber does the install so if something is not right it’s the plumber’s time wasted getting another one. When I install I make sure at the store.

Interesting, and a total bummer if you land a bad one.
Most people probably get the plumber to supply the toilet and do the install for a healthy markup.

Back