Trickle charger recommendation?

Follup to my battery power pack jump starter post...

Please offer your thoughts on a trickle charger / battery maintainer.
This will be used on a 2021 Lexus RX450h F Sport that sits for a week at a time; sometines 2 to 3 weeks.
Please consider that I am a cheapskate... Amazon has the NOCO Genius 1 for $30.

Thanks in advance.

I have the NOCO Genius 1. Very nice unit. Cyber Monday and prime day Amazon has had NOCO chargers for about 35% off.

Battery Tender 800 milliamps…

Link doesnt seem to work. But its the everstart maxx 3 amp BC3E from wm.com. About 21 bucks.

I've been using it for about 7 months so far and its been perfect. Had worries it was going to overcharge the battery and make it hot but no that hasn't been the case. It stops charging when it should and just over a week ago i went to crank the lawn mower that's been sitting for almost 2 months and it cranked strong and fired right up which it never does. Bought mine in store

Most of the reviews were from people complaining it doesn't charge fast enough but like it's a 3 amp unit. A few others were about the lack of the accessory that the picture shows but its not a big deal for me.

Follup to my battery power pack jump starter post...

Please offer your thoughts on a trickle charger / battery maintainer.
This will be used on a 2021 Lexus RX450h F Sport that sits for a week at a time; sometines 2 to 3 weeks.
Please consider that I am a cheapskate... Amazon has the NOCO Genius 1 for $30.

Thanks in advance.

This is low cost for what your getting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GODCLYU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not in a freezing climate? then here's the non-polar version.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CD44RQ...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

i have a cheapo harbour freight one , does everything i want it to do , actually i have 2 of them

I have the deltran battery tender jr (.75 mA?) models on my tractors as well as my Jeep when it’s stored for the winter. I’ve also ran a cord outside and stashed one under the hood of my car or truck if I know it’s going to be cold and/ or sitting a while.

* I will say I have not seen an increase in battery life by using these. Maybe my batteries were duds?

I too have several of the Harbor Freight trickle chargers. Over the last 15 or so years I've used them on lawn mower, motorcycle and car batteries. I've never had one of them go bad or not maintain the charge needed to start the engine.

I’ve had good luck with Battery Tender Jr and Duracell 4 amp chargers/maintainers on my fleet for years. Don’t think you can go wrong with any of the above suggestions.

Link doesnt seem to work. But its the everstart maxx 3 amp BC3E from wm.com. About 21 bucks.

I've been using it for about 7 months so far and its been perfect. Had worries it was going to overcharge the battery and make it hot but no that hasn't been the case. It stops charging when it should and just over a week ago i went to crank the lawn mower that's been sitting for almost 2 months and it cranked strong and fired right up which it never does. Bought mine in store

Most of the reviews were from people complaining it doesn't charge fast enough but like it's a 3 amp unit. A few others were about the lack of the accessory that the picture shows but its not a big deal for me.
I've had this one for around 3 years and works fine. Used it on three cars yesterday. Took 20 mins to charge up my vehicle. I think the longest one took an hour.

The Noco Genius 1 uses an IC charge profile, Once it gets the battery up to 14.7ish at 3 different amperage levels, declining as battery voltage rises, it shuts off and only restarts once battery voltage drops to 12.69v, at least on teh AGM setting, when i tested my dad's

Others prefer a maintenance charger that holds the battery at 13.2 or 13.6v, always

Ideal float voltage depends on the battery, and its temperature. Too low and self discharge can occur, or parasitic loads can allow it to discharge, too high and positive plate corrosion and excessive water usage can enter the picture.

Bay area temperature swings not being extreme make for the latter being less problematic. The Noco might have its user complain that it is not holding the battery at a constant voltage as they expect.

While this certainly is not a solution for every user, and this should not be applied to a well depleted battery, One can adjust the voltage that it holds the battery at.

I think a power supply which brings the battery to 14.1 to 14.5v for 5 to 15 minutes a day is what i would do for long term battery storage in a place where temperature extremes are a consideration.

There are many different versions of the LED power supply above. I had a 22$ one which I played with. It was rated at 30 amps but a depleted healthy battery would accept 36+ amps from it, and above 36 amps it made an unpleasant noise. It does not have the ability to limit amperage, only voltage. Some of the clones of this product, will claim to have the ability to limit amperage. Grain of salt.....

I modified it with a better fan and more heatsinking and a better voltage adjustment potentiometer, but had to manipulate the voltage, manually, in stages to keep amperage below 36 when charging a depleted battery.
When this became irritating, I set it to 14.8v, hooked it to a depleted battery and 36+ amps flowed from it into battery, for 17 minutes, until it released its magic smoke.

I then ordered a Meanwell rsp-500-15 adjustable voltage power supply. rated for 500 watts, it delivers upto 623watts . I modified it too, with a better voltage adjustment potentiometer, quiet Noctua fans, and additional heatsinking on case exterior adjacent to heat producing transistors. it will output 40 amps all day long at any voltage I choose between 13.12 and 19.23. Its been my primary plug in charger since september 2014 and has many thousands of hours of use on it.

I've also added a 50 amp 'Ideal Diode' (only a 0.04 drop across it) and a shunted ammeter which displays amp hours and watt hours passed, SO I can easily dial in the voltage I want, and see how much amperage the battery accepts, and over a period of time how much watt hours or amp hours the battery accepted. Well, I often have DC loads on the battery so the total AH/WH figures also include those DC loads.

There are benchtop adjustable voltage, adjustable amperage power supplies which will allow a precision no 'maintainer' can hope to match, but it requires that a human control it properly. Perhaps raspberry Pi control for those capable of such.

I’ve used a basic “$20 at the time” Schumacher 1.5 amp maintainer for my motorcycles for 15 years or so with no problems and it comes with ring terminals.

Last edited:
I have about 15 batteries that I remove from various things and keep in a corner of the garage over winter. I was using a couple Battery Tender Jr, and they worked great.

Last year I switched to these Battery MINDer units, as they advertise desulfating.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

I have two of them, and have a splitter for one so I can do three batteries at a time. I rotate among the batteries every two weeks or so.

Back