Tree Branch Fell In My Backyard

Pretty sure its a Manitoba maple from the leaves. Never seen one that size before though! If you like the tree, it will probably go for quite a few years yet as it seems to be growing a good rate to get to that size. If you don't like it, this is also a good excuse to get rid of it.
I like it very much. Being south of my house, it provides a lot of shade in the summer and its dense canopy muffles the subway train noise

It leans away from the house and is about 35 feet from the house, but it leans over a parking lot and somebody could get killed from a falling branch or the whole tree. I will bring in an Arborist and see if the tree needs to be taken down.

That’s a box elder. I can tell by the leaves and how green the branch is. While they are in the Maple (acer) genus, they are weak-wooded and not long-lived. Silver maples exhibit similar traits. They’re fine for windbreaks or shade far from buildings and cars, but not as yard specimens. The southern equivalent in habits would be the Hackberry tree. I would recommend removing it unless you want your insurance company paying out damages and jacking up your rates.

I did some trimming and put out the small branches for the city to pick up. They will not take branches larger than 3 in dia, so I will have to haul those to a place that accepts them Maple Tree 3 (2).JPGMaple Tree 3 (1).JPG

I think that's a serious Q. "The other kind" (he sez "...noise of the train...")
I would say put out the wrd that the branch is there.
Ur lucky it fell at this timea yr. Many look for wood to burn (nxt yr, 9 mo to season) to keep warm (me 4 instance).
Might hafta put an announcement in the right place to get it gone (quickly). Many who p/u may tell U the rest of the story
on the tree. The last of a large tree from last summer (13 mo) is just disappearing from rd side where it was rolled out (big "Free" sign on it).

Winds develop this timea yr. U may wish to schedule an certified arborist sooner than wait. I kinda do several things at once (here 3 or 4)
like this to take care of a mid level problem. My 1 thought is it's growing from ur property, that usually means (even it falling on some 1 else's) it's ur job to take care of things. The arborist sez if it'll live/survive (& at what cost if needing cabling, etc) AND if there's chance it'll fall (& into ur house). Here (rural) there's plenty of free ppl to tap if I could not figure it out myself...Good Luck

I think that's a serious Q. "The other kind" (he sez "...noise of the train...")
I would say put out the wrd that the branch is there.
Ur lucky it fell at this timea yr. Many look for wood to burn (nxt yr, 9 mo to season) to keep warm (me 4 instance).
Might hafta put an announcement in the right place to get it gone (quickly). Many who p/u may tell U the rest of the story
on the tree. The last of a large tree from last summer (13 mo) is just disappearing from rd side where it was rolled out (big "Free" sign on it).

Winds develop this timea yr. U may wish to schedule an certified arborist sooner than wait. I kinda do several things at once (here 3 or 4)
like this to take care of a mid level problem. My 1 thought is it's growing from ur property, that usually means (even it falling on some 1 else's) it's ur job to take care of things. The arborist sez if it'll live/survive (& at what cost if needing cabling, etc) AND if there's chance it'll fall (& into ur house). Here (rural) there's plenty of free ppl to tap if I could not figure it out myself...Good Luck
Yes, I am going to cut up the large logs and put them out at the curb with a FREE - MAPLE FIREWOOD sign on it. Hopefully I won't have to haul them out and pay some facility to take it.

KOUWELL, I'd B 1 'to ck it out' if drivin by. Glad U got sompin to cut them up, move them out. In the city often the DPW or other wrkmen grab it. Skip the 'maple' sign, folks can tell what it is. Sounds like it aint rock maple (hi BTUs). Think bout da certified aborist consult if ur BIL/Uncle, etc aint tree/landscap(er) savvy. 8^ )

Back