Transmission side housing leak = rebuild time?

I replaced the transmission pan gasket and filter over the weekend to solve a leak. In the process of buttoning things up, I also found a leak on the side of the transmission. Not the best pic:

A4F3AB9A-DD26-4694-9EDE-94403EA0AD1C.jpeg

It appears the RTV seal between the trans case and the side cover that also serves as the mounting bracket is leaking. The trans is a Toyota U151E, used in many of their Camry-platform products. I watched a YouTube video of someone tearing one down to rebuild it - the side cover has three sealing rings, a bearing and a clutch drum - go to 3:30 in this video:

So, I have a feeling in order to properly repair this leak, the drivetrain will need to be dropped and the transmission will need to be at the least overhauled with a soft parts kit less clutches/steels/pistons and ideally rebuilt with new clutches, pistons and a welded planetary. Should I even attempt to take the side case off in the car, exercise all precautions to avoid dirt getting into the open case and just reseal it?

I don't really seek the leak in the photo. Not unusual for middle age cars to seep fluid which shows up as wet dirty spots on the transmission case (or areas around it), but doesn't really leak. Is it just seeping or actually drip, drip leaking? Vehicle / mileage / age?

When it starts dripping and making a mess is the only time I'd consider an overhaul, unless I had a prized driveway or showroom garage floor, which I don't.

How old is the car and how much is it leaking?
It’s a 2005. The leak at this point is more seepage at this point. I’m planning on checking the ATF every two weeks - my parents use this as their around town car and I use it for longer trips.

I've got an '06 Camry with a U151E
I'll take a picture of mine for comparisons sake
Is it a noticable fluid loss?
Is it leaving stains?

What's the mileage?

LE/XLE with the 3.0, or the SE with the 3.3?

may just need the cover bolts torqued.
have no idea what that would be but I'm thinking 18 ft/lbs.
Also you're not seeing all the gear this rebuild guy needs to drop a 145lb transaxle.
Or the mess it can make on the garage floor. lol.

It’s a 2005. The leak at this point is more seepage at this point. I’m planning on checking the ATF every two weeks - my parents use this as their around town car and I use it for longer trips.
It's a 17 year old car. If it's not leaking it's empty. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I replaced the transmission pan gasket and filter over the weekend to solve a leak. In the process of buttoning things up, I also found a leak on the side of the transmission. Not the best pic:

View attachment 93655

It appears the RTV seal between the trans case and the side cover that also serves as the mounting bracket is leaking. The trans is a Toyota U151E, used in many of their Camry-platform products. I watched a YouTube video of someone tearing one down to rebuild it - the side cover has three sealing rings, a bearing and a clutch drum - go to 3:30 in this video:

So, I have a feeling in order to properly repair this leak, the drivetrain will need to be dropped and the transmission will need to be at the least overhauled with a soft parts kit less clutches/steels/pistons and ideally rebuilt with new clutches, pistons and a welded planetary. Should I even attempt to take the side case off in the car, exercise all precautions to avoid dirt getting into the open case and just reseal it?

Time for some MaxLife ATF-or maybe some ATP AT-205. The cost to pull it & rebuild it would likely be more than it is worth.

I think this would be a better plan than fixing it. You might end up checking the fluid every month or so once you figure the rate of loss.

may just need the cover bolts torqued.
have no idea what that would be but I'm thinking 18 ft/lbs.
Also you're not seeing all the gear this rebuild guy needs to drop a 145lb transaxle.
Or the mess it can make on the garage floor. lol.
It’s FWD, so the best, but most intensive way is to put the car on a lift, disconnect all the body harnesses/exhaust l/lines/steering shaft, unbolt the struts, get a table and drop the subframe/powertrain as one.

Seepage I consider normal on semi-older cars. In my experience they generally stay that way for years before becoming more troublesome-- once they start actually leaking you get the reward of a free unlimited underbody rust-proof(?) coating, but I suspect that's not very desirable in California :D.

My 96 Maxima has been seeping ATF for the last 100K+ miles, but it's approaching the leak point-- I get a drop or two on the garage floor on random occasions. Basically just coats the bottom of the trans in crud. My driveway/garage stays mostly clean. I'm not worried about it, I've changed every seal on the thing short of the input shaft seal / overhaul type stuff. I won't venture into that until it REALLY annoys me.

Back