Transmission pan gasket silicone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to put aftermarket pans with drain plugs on both the Burb and the Vic. The instructions for both vehicles tranny filter kits specifically state not to re-use the gasket and not to use any type of gasket maker or silicone. When I did the tranny filter (but forgot to put my new pan on) on the Suburban like a month ago I actually re-used the old gasket that was very stuck on the stock pan and didn't use any sealer, and it's not leaking.

I'm going to be doing the one on the Suburban myself but I'm going to be having a shop do the one on the Vic (but I will be supplying all the parts and fluids) and I'm just wondering whether I really should avoid the silicone, or should use it. Thanks.

If you look at the bottom of the pan on your Crown Vic, you'll see that it states that the pan gasket is designed to be reused. Dunno about the Suburban.

If the OEM gasket is still there and hasn't been mangled with via overtorquing, it can be reused.

I generally don't like RTV on tranny pans unless it's specifically called for. I've used Toyota black FIPG or Permatex's Ultra Black in place of the former's esoteric almost $100/tube red FIPG for transmissions when I had to use it.

If it was me, I wouldn't re-use and wouldn't use a cork gasket. Been burned on that on my own vehicles, currently with a leaking cork gasket even after following directions. I plan to take the pan off and super clean it then slap it back on with some Permatex The Right Stuff and only ever change the Magnefine filter I have on it. The fluid isn't under pressure and most pans that I've seen have a divot or channel to help hold the gasket in place, it should do the same for the RTV should you decide to use it.

Tranny fluid is a lot thinner than gear oil but I was super impressed when I had to take off a diff cover I had put on with The Right Stuff. What a miserable 45 minutes that was, it was STUCK on there good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
If the OEM gasket is still there and hasn't been mangled with via overtorquing, it can be reused.

I generally don't like RTV on tranny pans unless it's specifically called for. I've used Toyota black FIPG or Permatex's Ultra Black in place of the former's esoteric almost $100/tube red FIPG for transmissions when I had to use it.

Thing is I'm replacing the pans on both vehicles, so I'd have to scrape off the old gasket from the pan (at least on the Burb the gasket was very stuck to the pan which is why I reused it and didn't use the new gasket but this time I'm changing the pan, and I doubt the old gasket would survive.

Originally Posted By: dogememe

Thing is I'm replacing the pans on both vehicles, so I'd have to scrape off the old gasket from the pan (at least on the Burb the gasket was very stuck to the pan which is why I reused it and didn't use the new gasket but this time I'm changing the pan, and I doubt the old gasket would survive.

I got this idea from a buddy of mine who used to be a (Kawasaki dealer) motorcycle mechanic; I've been doing it for years as a matter of convenience. Use a new/old gasket (clean) and sparingly rub both sides with lithium or silicon grease. If future disassembly becomes necessary, said disassembly will be greatly simplified and the gasket will be reusable. Nothing I've ever done this to (valve covers, oil pans, trans pans, timing chain covers, water pumps), etc., has ever leaked.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

I got this idea from a buddy of mine who used to be a (Kawasaki dealer) motorcycle mechanic; I've been doing it for years as a matter of convenience. Use a new/old gasket (clean) and sparingly rub both sides with lithium or silicon grease. If future disassembly becomes necessary, said disassembly will be greatly simplified and the gasket will be reusable. Nothing I've ever done this to (valve covers, oil pans, trans pans, timing chain covers, water pumps), etc., has ever leaked.

DO NOT use any kind of lubricant on a OEM 4L60E gasket......The gasket will squirm around & split along the bolt holes long before the correct bolt torque is achieved (120-144 Inch Pounds).
The gasket has resins that leach out at operating temps effectively bonding to the pan & trans case to create a leak free seal.
The gasket is Cheap at $7.00-$8.00 & easily removed from the pan with a heat gun.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
On the 4L60E.....Use GM part# 8654799.

GM & Ford DO NOT use silicone sealants on ANY of their rear wheel drive automatic transmissions!!!

Sorry if I posted misinformation for your situation. All I've owned for 20+ years is FWD GM; transmission 4t65e, the gasket will NOT split if torqued to 120 in/lbs and is very reusable. I have a lot of zzperformance parts on my vehicle: https://zzperformance.com/3800/gaskets-adhesives/transmission-pan-gasket

All three of my vehicles have 4t65e transmissions, zzperformance transmission pans with drain plugs, https://zzperformance.com/3800/transmission-drivetrain/4t65e-aluminum-transmission-pan and silicon grease on the pan gaskets for 7+ years. No leaks. Guess this may not apply to the OP, but it works for me.

No need for silicone. The whole purpose of a gasket is to prevent leaks. It's designed to do just that all on its own. Let the gasket do its job.

Originally Posted By: dogememe

AFAIK, GM was starting to use reusable gaskets in the 1990s and so was Ford. Unless it was worked on before and glued in place or the person who rebuilt it used a cork gasket.

In that case, better safe(new gasket) than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back