Transmission Fluid Level Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM 4T65E

Dipstick says : ADD 1 PINT------>| XXXXXXX |
What would be considered overfilled? Do these transmissions spring a leak if they're too full?

OK, but what I'm getting at here is many of you guys tell a person with their crankcase overfilled by the dealer not to worry about it. Does the same hold true for transmissions?

Yes to some extent. Just like the crankcase it depends on how much it is overfilled. If the transmission is way overfilled it will often be forced out a breather hose.

The transmission like the crankcase is designed to be filled within the limits marked on the measuring device.

Providing you are checking the tranny at proper operating temperature and engine running on level ground then, in between the add & full line is fine. Overfilled means that you risk blowing the seals...if it toooo full!

A slight overfill likely won't hurt anything. I wouldn't go over by more than about half a quart. Those 4T65Es like a bottle of lubegard red, if I was going to overfill one, it would be with that.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
You should fix that before it costs you the transmission.

Wisdom. ^^^^^

(That axle seal R&R repair may be easier than it looks at first)

Well I've overfilled my tranmssion twice...once it went out the breather when I got it hot by driving up some big hills in the summer...the other it blew through the pan gasket because it was a sealed unit with no breather. I'm trying to picture how much pressure I had going on in that transmission to cause it to blow out through that pan gasket.

Both were overfilled by maybe a quart.

I have found that a couple of ounces (approx. 6 ounces) moves the mark on the dipstick by about 1/2".
I once read that this will do no harm. I used to be neurotic to have the level perfect but now I'm OK if it's
a bit over the line when hot.
OTOH, I'm not comfortable with the level being near the 'ADD' line.

Originally Posted by perfect_oil
GM 4T65E

Dipstick says : ADD 1 PINT------>| XXXXXXX |
What would be considered overfilled? Do these transmissions spring a leak if they're too full?

If you are following the instructions for when to measure it, car hot or cold, ect....that crosshatch marks indicate optimum fluid level!

If your fluid level is in the center of the hatchmarks you are perfect. But anywhere in that zone is just fine.

I have never checked the temp on a drain and fill on my is350 or wife's rx350, I leave vehicle sit in garage overnight with the ATF so everything is the same temp and refill the amount that drained out.

I have never checked the temp on a drain and fill on my is350 or wife's rx350, I leave vehicle sit in garage overnight with the ATF so everything is the same temp and refill the amount that drained out.

Over the fill mark on a warmed up tranny. At room temperature, the fluid should be slightly below the add mark.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Well I've overfilled my tranmssion twice...once it went out the breather when I got it hot by driving up some big hills in the summer...the other it blew through the pan gasket because it was a sealed unit with no breather. I'm trying to picture how much pressure I had going on in that transmission to cause it to blow out through that pan gasket.

Both were overfilled by maybe a quart.

You can get a fire if it hits the hot exhaust, it's not common but I've seen it in a couple trucks. Of course the exhaust is hottest when you're going up a hill....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back