Transmission drain and fill on the Accord....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
It's always nice when it's easy. My Fusion has a drain plug on the tranny, which really helps. Just have to remove the plastic engine shield, and it's right there. Mine drains a gallon, almost exactly.

I agree on the Rhino ramps too.. however, I must ask - Are you also placing metal jack stands underneath the car's jack points/frame as well, when you do this? If not, you're just asking for a mishap. I like my Rhino ramps, but I'd NEVER trust them 100%, especially when I'm laying underneath.

Chocks on the rear wheels, too.

I'm with you. I don't get underneath a vehicle unless it has every possible support underneath it. I own a set of Rhino Ramps as well, I always use jack stands. Why even take that risk when it takes less than 2 mins to get them out and position them?

I have an Uncle who when he was a teenager, around the late 50's, was working on a car and it came down on him. He was positioned just right that his head slid up between the block and the frame but even still, when they finally got him out he wasn't breathing. They had to work on him for a few mins to get him back. He's so lucky to be alive. When you hear that story every year on our hunting trips it's hard to get under a car without taking every precaution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Throt
While I'm all for good maintenance but 3 D&F's in less than 50K? That's just a waste of money and fluid. Unless if you plan on driving this thing to 300,000 miles I wouldn't change that fluid again until at least 100,000.

There's hundred's of thousands, if not millions, of Honda's out there over 100,000 miles that will go 200,000+ and never get a drop of new tran fluid.

A single drain and fill only replaces 3 quarts of fluid. A single drain and fill also cost less than $30. I say $30 every year to keep your fluid fresh is a very smart move. Also, just because "millions" of Honda's made it to 200K miles without transmission fluid changes doesn't mean its a good idea not to change the fluid.

I agree but I do think you should speak with your doctor about OCD
grin.gif

All joking aside, I'm sure that transmission will live a long healthy life.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
What's more 3 consecutive DnF's are Honda's recommended procedure, at least on their V6 transmission (like mine). ...

That is true as far as it goes. What everyone leaves out is that the recommended procedure involves running the car with the wheels off the ground through a fairly specific pattern and then immediately draining and refilling and repeat.

The recommended procedure is not drain and fill, drive around for a day, or a week, or a month, or a year.

Not that there is anything wrong with periodic drain and fills (I do mine each oil filter change) but that isn't the officially recommended procedure for a transmission fluid change which was covered in a Honda service newsletter.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I agree on the Rhino ramps too.. however, I must ask - Are you also placing metal jack stands underneath the car's jack points/frame as well, when you do this? If not, you're just asking for a mishap. I like my Rhino ramps, but I'd NEVER trust them 100%, especially when I'm laying underneath.

Why do you feel that's necessary?

You feel okay trusting your life to a $50 set of plastic ramps? Personally, I'll take the extra 5 minutes and make sure that I'm 100% safe.

Anything can break, and the minimal extra effort it takes to insure you have a strong fall-back support is worth it.

Yes, because they are designed to handle 3x-4x times what a typical passenger car weighs so I'm not the least bit concerned. The only thing dangerous about using ramps is not knowing how to use them correctly.

I'm a little confused to on that tranny lube change frequency. Why so much? The 6th generation had the dreaded transmission failure problem, happened to me at about 110K, but it was proven no amount of fluid changes could prevent that from happening.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I'm a little confused to on that tranny lube change frequency. Why so much? The 6th generation had the dreaded transmission failure problem, happened to me at about 110K, but it was proven no amount of fluid changes could prevent that from happening.

I find doing a transmission drain and refill (only 3 quarts) once a year / every 10K miles keeps the fluid continually fresh. This is better IMO than letting the fluid get old and worn out then doing a 3X3 all at once. Many Honda owners agree with this maintenance plan. Again, for me its worth spending an extra $30 per year to keep the transmission fluid fresh.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Why do you feel that's necessary?

You feel okay trusting your life to a $50 set of plastic ramps? Personally, I'll take the extra 5 minutes and make sure that I'm 100% safe.

Anything can break, and the minimal extra effort it takes to insure you have a strong fall-back support is worth it.

I only buy cars I can get under when they are on the ground. Or maybe it just happened. I get under them easily and could almost walk under my pickup. But the Subarus have or will have Fumoto valve and filter up front and on top. The pickup is more involved and I need a step stool to stand on to check or add oil.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Schmoe

I find doing a transmission drain and refill (only 3 quarts) once a year / every 10K miles keeps the fluid continually fresh. This is better IMO than letting the fluid get old and worn out then doing a 3X3 all at once. Many Honda owners agree with this maintenance plan. Again, for me its worth spending an extra $30 per year to keep the transmission fluid fresh.

I'm pretty sensitive to transmission shift quality, and I find that the Honda fluid seems to degrade pretty quickly. A lot of things on cars change behavior over extended periods of time (like tire grip, shocks and struts, etc), but it's usually so long that you don't know it's gotten bad until you replace the item. Not so with the Honda fluid; I'm in agreement with a 15k spill-and-fill schedule. Shifting becomes a little harsher prior to 15k miles, and this is cleaned up with new fluid. I've found this to be the case with every Honda I've owned.

I fully admit that I'm sensitive to it; many people wouldn't (and don't) notice. A lot of 100k mile Hondas are running around with the original transmission fluid. I don't change mine so often because I'm paranoid about transmission longevity (our Acura has 145k and our Honda has 115k, and both run great). I do it because I like to keep the shift feel clean.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I'm pretty sensitive to transmission shift quality, and I find that the Honda fluid seems to degrade pretty quickly. A lot of things on cars change behavior over extended periods of time (like tire grip, shocks and struts, etc), but it's usually so long that you don't know it's gotten bad until you replace the item. Not so with the Honda fluid; I'm in agreement with a 15k spill-and-fill schedule. Shifting becomes a little harsher prior to 15k miles, and this is cleaned up with new fluid. I've found this to be the case with every Honda I've owned.

I fully admit that I'm sensitive to it; many people wouldn't (and don't) notice. A lot of 100k mile Hondas are running around with the original transmission fluid. I don't change mine so often because I'm paranoid about transmission longevity (our Acura has 145k and our Honda has 115k, and both run great). I do it because I like to keep the shift feel clean.

Shift quality was an issue with ATF-Z1, but not so much with ATF DW-1. I rarely see changes in shift quality after fluid changes with DW-1.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Shift quality was an issue with ATF-Z1, but not so much with ATF DW-1. I rarely see changes in shift quality after fluid changes with DW-1.

There is a noticeable difference for me. After the annual drain and fill shifts are more clean.

x3 or 4 on the improved shift quality with new Lube in the transmission. I stick to 30k miles personally or whenever I can feel the shifts getting harsher then it was when new. DIY is cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back