Transmission Cooling line leaking

My vehicle a 2015 Pilot has a transmission coolant line leaking.

It went for Nh state inspection and failed (I believe incorrectly) for that. It has an appointment next week to fix for $200 and get a state inspection sticker.

I can see dampness on bottom panels and small drops in driveway however checked transmission oil and coolant level and seemed in range.

I was not able to ask before closing but question is driving it 150 miles round trip a big deal? I will check fluid but not sure if coolant or transmission oil is what I check?

Thanks!

Until your leak is fixed keep some transmission fluid with you at all times.
Also, most tranny leaks/lines can be fixed easily for the DIYer with fuel line, power steering line, or tranny line.

I’ve fixed all steel lines with just the rubber tubing(suitable for these fixes) replacing the steel line OR cutting out the corroded section of the steel line and just use rubber tubing in a couple of clamps. I mean, there’s a little more to it than that such as neatness and attention to detail but It’s a permanent fix!

A $200 charge for that repair isn’t out of line, so feel good about that you’re not getting shafted.

Last edited:
I had a leaking hard line in my Silverado that went south quickly, from dripping to Exxon Valdez in 20 miles. Your mechanic may have done you a favor.

On a Maine state inspection, oil leaks only fail if they're a fire hazard.

Sounds like your leak is on top of an underbody splash shield.

It would be good to know where the leak is coming from. If its coming from a rubber coolant line, and that line splits - you can dump a lot of fluid very quickly. The silicone wrap tape will actually work pretty well for a while. If it is a line, I would at least wrap it with that before a 150 mile drive. If its just leaking from the pan gasket or something, then meh - just stop and check occasionally.

Back