Transmission Acting Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SF0059
So yesterday I drove home 65 miles through the hills all in manual mode. Even in manual mode, it would jump to redline before dropping into overdrive. I did come to the conclusion that the problem is with shifting from 3rd or 4th into 5th. 6th seems fine. The only way I could keep it from revving on the shift was to wait to drop into 5th until I was literally coasting down the backside of the hill. If you are giving it any throttle at all when you shift it starts wigging out.

I'm hoping that it is a solenoid, shift servo, or something of that nature. I dropped it off with my mechanic last night, will keep this thread updated...

In other news, I started looking at car websites last night just in case. Dangerous...

Thanks for the info. As mentioned previously, fluid first. If that doesn't fix it, then go for sensors/transmission shop.

Alright, here is the what happened. The shop was able to replicate the shift issues (not difficult since it did it all the time). They checked the ATF level (full) and the condition of the fluid, which they said "looked almost like new in both color and viscosity". They put it on the scanner and there were 4 or 5 buried codes dealing with down and upshift errors. When they reset the computer the issues stopped.

So my tech said to drive it and see if the revving comes back. He seemed to think they would as there is an underlying mechanical cause. They gave me all the documentation on the issue because he said that since it started at 67k and the powertrain warranty is good until 60k Toyota might fix it in goodwill. We didn't do anything else to the transmission so that there wouldn't be a chance of a voided warranty.

On my drive into work this morning, there was no revving, but there were still some issues with the gear change from 4th to 5th. I came over a hill in 4th (I drove it hard this morning to test it) and onto a downhill straightaway. The trans hung onto 4th for probably a good 10-15 seconds going downhill with little throttle before finally deciding to slowly shift into 5th.

Also, something else weird this morning. There is now a significant delay going into reverse. When I first pulled out of my driveway I put it into reverse, waited a moment, and gave it some throttle... just free wheeling, not in gear. Then it abruptly popped into reverse.

All that said, there is something wrong mechanically. Whether that is solenoid or shift controller issues, I don't know. I feel fairly confident that the issue will happen again when it throws some more codes. Once that happens I will have to try to fall at the mercy of the Toyota District Manager.

I'll keep this thread updated if this occurs.

Thanks for the info...agree with your prognosis. I think all the shifting in the hills may have done it?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Thanks for the info...agree with your prognosis. I think all the shifting in the hills may have done it?

I suppose anything is possible. But even though we live in the Blue Ridge foothills, it isn't like I'm driving in the Sierras or Rockys. Very strange indeed...

Well gang, I have a very inconclusive ending for you all. When I bought the RAV4 2 years ago I was driving about 7 miles to work each day. Now I am driving 120 round trip. I also used to have time to troubleshoot issues on my vehicles, but given my commute and the arrival of my twins there is just no time anymore. I can squeeze in an oil change and tire rotation if I am lucky.

So, I did the math and with promotional financing and better fuel economy, I could actually get a new Mazda 6 for no money out of pocket and lower my monthly payments as well as fuel costs. I pitted a bunch of Mazda dealers against each other and secured a 2017 Mazda 6 Touring with a manual trans for under invoice. After that, I took the most competitive dealers to make an offer for a price on the RAV4, sight unseen. The KBB private party value was $18000 and I got a dealer in Fairfax to guarantee $17250 without even looking at it. So I drove up and did the deal.

We will never know that was slowly coming apart in the RAV's trans. Honestly, the 6 is a much nicer car for a commute and fits my current needs better. Coming back from Fairfax the Mazda averaged 34.5 mpg, while I was averaging 22 in the RAV. So for no money out of pocket, I feel like a dodged a bullet. And now I have a manual trans which I have a lot more trust in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back