Transfer case drain/fill 2021 Chevy Traverse

JTK

Given how the oil looked in these little T-case/PTUs in other vehicles I've owned in the past I wanted to have at a drain/fill on my 2021 Chevy Traverse at ~39K miles today. I picked up some of the squeeze bags of Valvoline synthetic 75w90. Wow are those bags the bees knees! Pretty easy job on this GM platform. I drove it up on ramps because you have to get about dead center, just beyond the engine. The drain plug faces the front of the vehicle. The fill / level check is on the right side. Both are large 10mm hex plugs. You'll see it in my pics, but I found I had to remove a strap like cross member so I could fit my 10mm socket into the drain plug. No big deal. Two 15mm bolts and this erector set beam came right out of the way. You have to do an exhaust pipe reach over and around to get at the fill / level check pipe, so a small socket extension is required. Fitting the bag-o-valvoline up in there was no problem.

The drained gear oil looked really good compared to what I've been used to. A very minute amount of sparkles, but a good sized black greasy ferrous mushroom on the drain plug magnet.

Out came just shy of a quart of oil. In went about a quart. I think what I learned from this for other 2018-2023 Traverse owners is, you could probably go to 50-60K miles before really needing to drain/fill these particular transfer cases.

TC1.jpg
TC2.jpg
TC3.jpg
TC4.jpg

One trick I use on many drain and fill bolts/plugs is to break it loose, turn a couple turns and before removing it completely I spray the area and exposed threads (with brake cleaner) to clean around the opening so dry and wet dirt doesn't find its way back in the hole on reinstallation.

Reactions: JTK
Forgot to add an interesting observation I had on these GM AWD systems. The transfer case has an electric axle disconnect actuator on it. While in 2wd mode, this allows the prop shaft to the rear carrier to just freewheel. You can grab and spin the propshaft by hand with all the wheels on the ground while in front wheel drive only mode. Every other FWD based SUV I've owned, kept the drive shaft to the rear live all the time, the clutch in the rear carrier does all the 4x4 on/off.

Only potential issue I see is the T-case axle disconnect motor is on top of the axle tube, packed right near the bank 1 catalytic converter. It's in a tight spot. I couldn't get a finger on it from underneath. Probably have to pull the whole T-case to get at it.

Back