trans service 2015 malibu 6T40

Status
Not open for further replies.
just rolled over 23k on my malibu, when i hit 25k i plan on doing a drain and fill on the trans. its has a drain plug and a check plug. i think the trans holds about 12Q, but a drain and fill i think is 4-5Q. i plan on doing this every 25k. was thinking about useing valvoline maxlife dextron VI, good choise or use soming else? also do you think it would be worth it to have a UOA done on the FF trans fluid?

Last edited:
Valvoline makes an actual Dexron VI and it is synthetic ... think that protects the warranty better than a multi fluid ...

I'd skip the UOA on the FF since it seems like a waste of an analysis. It will have high metals. Maybe do one for the oil.

You should stick with something that's licensed Dexron VI while under warranty. There are some good low-cost options both in-store and online like Amazon. Walmart brand Dexron VI is licensed and at a good price every day without having to worry about shipping or rebates.

Kmart has Smitty's synthetic ATF for $4.99/qt, also Dexron VI licensed

The Havoline 12-pack is now Prime-only. So if you have Prime, it's a great deal at well under $4/qt.

But when the warranty is over, Maxlife will be great stuff
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Walmart brand Dexron VI is licensed and at a good price every day without having to worry about shipping or rebates.
The Havoline 12-pack is now Prime-only. So if you have Prime, it's a great deal at well under $4/qt.

But when the warranty is over, Maxlife will be great stuff
smile.gif

I would double check the label, last week when I went to pick up supertech, after reading it was licensed, the back of the bottle clearly said "this is not a licensed product." I don't know if that's a regional thing, or not.

Interesting wording on your STech bottle. I checked a bottle of STech dex 6 which I had and it doesn't have that statement which is on your bottle. It never mentions anything about any licensing.Now I wonder.

Last edited:
It says here:

Super Tech DEXRON VI Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 qt:
Specially formulated with premium base stocks and advanced additive technology
Officially licensed and GM-approved
Meets the requirements of General Motors automatic transmissions calling for DEXRON VI fluid
Suitable for use where DEXRON II, DEXRON III, JASO M315 (1A), Toyota WS and Toyota T-IV fluids are recommended.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-DEXRON-VI-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-qt/17134873

Last edited:
Maybe I am reading too much into this.It does state being a licensed product on WM's web site but not on the bottles.Looking at Richards pic stating that the ST dex6 "is not a licensed product" and a bottle of ST dex6 I have doesn't mention anything about licensing at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RichardS
It's on the website, but I'm going to take the bottles word for it.

Maybe they got tired of the license fee and dropped it?

Licence fees were dropped with the introduction of DEXRON-VI in 2005.

I would avoid putting any high mileage fluids in something with that few of miles. No sense in gasket swelling agents in a perfectly good gasket. I would stick with any approved Dex VI. I mentioned in another posting that I was planning on using Castrol Dex VI. seems like a top notch oil and have heard good results in modern GM transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back