Trans Pan Magnet Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpa

Dropped my trans pan several weeks ago and cleaned it out, replaced the filter and put fresh fluid back in.

Upon cleaning the pan I only remember seeing 2 magnets, but I could have inadvertently wiped one out as there was some sludge in there.

All in all, no sheared pieces but the really small stuff that comes off during normal wear and tear.

Question - the FSM says there's supposed to be 3 magnets in there and it could have been user error that I only put 2 back in.

Will this make a big difference and should I get another magnet, drop the pan and affix it accordingly?

thanks!

I would put one in next time I did a pan service. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it until then. You didn't lose it, a prior shop visit did, so you haven't had one for quite some time probably. You would have known if you wiped it out.

Last edited:
If you are doing pan drops more often that the factory would have, I would not worry about it.

If you really feel bad about it, slap a big one on the outside of the pad.

The GM trucks that I've pan dropped had one magnet. The Toyotas and my vibe had 2 magnets. I wouldn't worry about it

The Ford I had before only had one magnet. I had changed the fluid about 5 times over it's lifetime. The first time there was lots of stuff on it, but on the subsequent changes, there was less stuff on the magnet so it probably doesn't matter that much the more wear it gets.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The Ford I had before only had one magnet. I had changed the fluid about 5 times over it's lifetime. The first time there was lots of stuff on it, but on the subsequent changes, there was less stuff on the magnet so it probably doesn't matter that much the more wear it gets.

+1. Add some rare earth magnets on the outside of the pan of that's bugging you. I usually add two small rare earth magnets when I drop the pan the first time.

I'd suggest using a Magnafine inline filter which has a very powerful magnet built-in. That way, the fluid is filtered by the cartridge filter (w/bypass valve if it every gets really dirty with clutch material, etc.) and the magnet as the transmission pumps fluid through the trans-cooler circuit. I've used these with good effect on several of my cars over the years (250K+ miles before the transmissions finally died).

Great idea on a exterior magnet and x2 on the magnafine filter.

I'll be doing on of those in the spring or sooner.

Thanks gents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back