Trans fluid exchange on 2001 Chevy Venture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to do a complete transmission fluid exchange at home? I am going to be changing the fluid in a 2001 Venture and I want to be sure to get all fluid out as the old fluid is pretty rough. I know that on my car which is a 1990 Infiniti Q45, you can drain out what's in the pan, top it off, run it for 3 minutes(I believe), drain the pan, refill, continue this process about 4 times I think until you begin to drain new fluid out, then top off. There is a drain plug on the pan so it works out that way but the Venture would need a plug installed first. I have also seen where on some vehicles, you can actually disconnect the hose from the radiator that goes to the transmission and place it in a clean bucket of fluid while the return line to the radiator empties into another bucket so that you can exchange it that way using the pump on the transmission. Can I use this method instead?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
I would use the radiator method as you said. It seems to work the best. Some vehicles have a bolt on the torque converter but I doubt yours does.

Top up atf level as needed before starting cooler line fluid exchange.

Pump 1 or 2 quarts out at a time via the cooler line, turn off the engine, replace THE SAME AMOUNT with new fluid via the dipstick tube. Use an empty 5 qt oil jug that has the measure window on the side.

Exchange 1 qt more than the fluid capacity of the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back