Trans Fluid - Analysis

I received a test (Blackstone) back on my trans fluid which showed 44/ppm of sodium and 24/ppm of potassium. I had a test done on the same fluid 6 months ago and there were 42/ppm of sodium and 2/ppm of potassium.

I know these could be markers for coolant. However, nothing indicates there is coolant present. The fluid looks brand new (it has 8k on it), no milkiness. There is no water or moisture on the dipstick.

When I pulled the fluid for the test, I used a pump that I use when I pump lower unit lube for my Outboard. Would lower unit lube have those two elements in its formulation?

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Tim

I received a test (Blackstone) back on my trans fluid which showed 44/ppm of sodium and 24/ppm of potassium. I had a test done on the same fluid 6 months ago and there were 42/ppm of sodium and 2/ppm of potassium....
So the Used Oil Analysis (UOA) showed 44/ppm of sodium and 24/ppm of potassium and the New Oil analysis (VOA) of the ATF showed 42/ppm of sodium and 2/ppm of potassium?

What vehicle and how many miles on the vehicle and transmission; which ATF?

You have some choices here:

You might want to get a coolant analysis done.

Have them retest the sample. If the UOA shows no coolant or water intrusion, then the increase in potassium may have come from the previous oil you had in the transmission.

To keep guesses to a minimum, always use different oil funnels when adding coolant and ATF.

Last edited:
Update, I had another sample test by a different lab and this time it tested about the same 41 ppm Sodium, 7 ppm Potassium and they tested specifically for Glycol and it was present at 0.10. I need to confirm this but, I believe the trans cooler on this (2017 Tahoe) is in the upper half of the AC condenser? If so, how could coolant (glycol) find its way into the fluid?

Thanks guys for you feedback on this thread.

The fact that your re-test shows virtually the same numbers as the the initial test (from 6 months ago) would lead me to think that the 2nd test had different results because the pump used was contaminated by the pump used on the lower unit of your outboard....but that's really just a guess.

So the Used Oil Analysis (UOA) showed 44/ppm of sodium and 24/ppm of potassium and the New Oil analysis (VOA) of the ATF showed 42/ppm of sodium and 2/ppm of potassium?

What vehicle and how many miles on the vehicle and transmission; which ATF?

You have some choices here:

You might want to get a coolant analysis done.

Have them retest the sample. If the UOA shows no coolant or water intrusion, then the increase in potassium may have come from the previous oil you had in the transmission.

To keep guesses to a minimum, always use different oil funnels when adding coolant and ATF.
Hi MolaKule,

Thanks for the response. The vehicle is a 17 Tahoe (96k) and it's the 6 speed. As a reference point, the trans cooler lines run into the AC condenser and are in the upper half of the condenser. There is not a trans cooler in the radiator, thus the puzzling question of how glycol could get into the trans fluid. The amount of glycol was 0.10 which the lab said is very slight. I suppose it is possible, there was a failure of the trans cooling lines and the Freon cooler lines and the PAG oil contaminated the trans fluid? That seems like a heck of a stretch.

However, I would like to point out I did change out the AC condenser over a year ago due to the OE condenser failing. I suppose its possible this condenser went bad. In an exchange with the lab, they highly doubt there is PAG oil mixing with the trans fluid. They are leaning toward the glycol was a false positive due to the low level of prescense.

What compounds the problem, I went ahead and removed the radiator thinking there was a trans cooling reservoir in that as well, I finally realized my error as I was pulling it out... I should have known better as I put the darn condenser in myself...

Anyway, I am thinking I'll put it back together, have the trans fluid flushed and run it for a few months and have it checked again.

Again, thanks for your input.

Update, I had another sample test by a different lab and this time it tested about the same 41 ppm Sodium, 7 ppm Potassium and they tested specifically for Glycol and it was present at 0.10. I need to confirm this but, I believe the trans cooler on this (2017 Tahoe) is in the upper half of the AC condenser? If so, how could coolant (glycol) find its way into the fluid?

Thanks guys for you feedback on this thread.
Can you post these results? Also how did they test specifically for glycol?

KSchachn - I tried to upload the two analaysis done and the atatch files process isn't allowing me to.

Back