TRAKMOTIVE drive shafts any good?

Gentleman,

a felow member of the Honda Youngtimer community here in germany has just bought a 1986 Honda civic. 1.3 Liter / 72 HP / 5 Speed Manual . The car is in very good conditon overall, realy "From a old Lady" (Year of Birth 1929). But he is facing a big problem, the car needs new driveshafts.

The problem here in Germany is, that the marketkshare of Honda is really low, 3% and falling. Finding used parts for such a old Honda is very difficult here.
Rockauto came to rescue, and the TRAKMOTIVE driveshafts seems to be aviailable.

But, how is the Quality ot the Trakmotive drive shafts? Or, did somebody maybe have a different Idea or solution?

Thank you.

Christian, Trakmotive are cheap Chinese crap. Email this place, not cheap but they use all new parts and put them together right.
The other alternative would be a pair of good used ones and reboot them with OE boots and grease.

I installed a pair of trakmotive CV axles on my GF's 1997 civic about a year ago and have not had an issue from them yet.

I'm curious, @Trav and others, any notion if FVP is any better? I just put an FVP (also from RA) in a '98 CR-V. Seems fine initially but no idea on longevity of course.

Oh and I will say I learned to be wary of the cheap CV axles years ago. At the time my dad had a '94 Caravan (I know, I know) and he had his local shop install axles from Advance. Immediately he had a weird shimmy only under acceleration. The shop replaced one or both (I don't recall) and the shimmy changed somewhat but was still there.

So, now my first 2 criteria/tests for CV's are 1) does it fit dimensionally and 2) on the first test drive does it shimmy or pull relative to throttle input.

Here at 3:20 he's using TrakMotive but he specifically states it's because they were the least expensive on RA....so not necessarily the best criteria for choice of auto parts

I'm curious, @Trav and others, any notion if FVP is any better? I just put an FVP (also from RA) in a '98 CR-V. Seems fine initially but no idea on longevity of course.
Judging by the part numbers, I think FVP is reboxed Trakmotive, but I could be wrong. FVP doesn't make any of their own parts, they're just a reboxer.

The Trakmotive axles seem to be a bit better than GSP, but not by much. Like Trav said, they're not high quality options.

Judging by the part numbers, I think FVP is reboxed Trakmotive, but I could be wrong. FVP doesn't make any of their own parts, they're just a reboxer.

The Trakmotive axles seem to be a bit better than GSP, but not by much. Like Trav said, they're not high quality options.
I shoulda got the TrakMotive for $37. I was hoping at $50 for the FVP the extra dollars might gain a tiny bit of quality.....but I fully understand in the world of re-boxing you sometimes get the exact same part at a higher price.

I shoulda got the TrakMotive for $37. I was hoping at $50 for the FVP the extra dollars might gain a tiny bit of quality.....but I fully understand in the world of re-boxing you sometimes get the exact same part at a higher price.
Win some, lose some. FVP XL oil filters appear to be "regular Wix" but at a somewhat fixed price, so there's some savings there.

Reactions: D60
I
Win some, lose some. FVP XL oil filters appear to be "regular Wix" but at a somewhat fixed price, so there's some savings there.
I imagine all the new shafts from O'Reilly, AutoZone and even NAPA are the same quality level at a higher price, but at least you do get a LT warranty (NAPA excluded)

Thank you all guys! Helpfull and a lot of Knowledge as allways! (y)
I have made a Posting with your valuable hints and opinions in the other Forum. No the owner can make his own decission.

Back