Trailer tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boat trailer has Nanking st 205/75 r14 ,load range "c" tires. Inside of one year, the side wall facing the inside of the trailer started cracking on both tires. After 3 years the cracking looks very bad, yet the side walls facing outward, toward the sun etc., looks like new. What is going on, and can someone recommend a tire that will hold up better? Oh the trailer only makes about four 30 mile trips per year.

First, what inflation pressure are you running? These tires need 50 psi.

Second is what is the load on the tires? The maximum is 1760 per tire - and it is pretty common for trailer manufacturers to be really skimpy on what tires they put on - load capacity wise. I recommend a 15% reserve capacity for trailer tires.

And last but not least - is it possible that the axles are bending? This makes the loading uneven for the tire and the inside would be the side that would likely be overloaded.

Quote:

First, what inflation pressure are you running? These tires need 50 psi.

Second is what is the load on the tires? The maximum is 1760 per tire - and it is pretty common for trailer manufacturers to be really skimpy on what tires they put on - load capacity wise. I recommend a 15% reserve capacity for trailer tires.

And last but not least - is it possible that the axles are bending? This makes the loading uneven for the tire and the inside would be the side that would likely be overloaded.

I am running 50psi, the tread is wearing perfectly, so I doubt if the alignment is off. The trailer is not over loaded. Less than 3k.
Thanks, Ted

Quote:

.............the tread is wearing perfectly, so I doubt if the alignment is off........

Trailer tires hardly wear at all, so if you have any wear at 3K, I'd say you have an alignment problem. Plus camber wear (which is what I was trying to get at) is not really going to show up in 3K miles even on a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back