Trailer tires - Please advise

My friend Debbie bough a box trailer to haul a couple of full size Indian motorcycles to events.
She asked me for a recommendation...
I will ask her for size and capacity.

What do the BITOG experts use?
Thanks in advance.

Really depends on the trailer and load.
Is it new? if so I'd run what came on it at least initially and get a spare if it came without one.

Single axle 3500? double axle 5k's?

For smaller trailer I like radial trailer tires(yes they still have many bias ply trailer tires)

For larger I prefer LT rated truck tires.

Regardless inspect closely after 5 years.. its really easy to have OLD trailer tires and you dont realize how old they are.

I use my utility trailer 10-15x a year. 1000miles max. everything would look brand new if I powerwashed it..
tires are coming up on 5 years old soon. Since I tow at low mph 60-65max usually and have a spare I'll most likely extend to 8 years or so before mandatory replacement

It is also stored in Shade and rarely sees more than 1200lb load. (rated for #2500+ load)

If you have a decent load ie not hauling empty or something bulky like a reclining chair.
always try to use the max inflation to keep the tire heat down.. use common sense of course.

My tires are 50psi I will run 35-40 if under 700# load to keep the boucing and jarring down. anything over 700# generally gets 50psi.

Final note: Have the proper tools to change a tire with you when towing.
jack.. breaker bar with appropriate socket if needed etc.

Last edited:
  • Radial always
  • Biggest / highest weight capacity you can fit
  • If it's trailer riding on 8 lug 16s, go for a truck tire ... way better

But the two killers of trailer tires are UNDERINFLATION and having old tires.
I run my tires at the max on the sidewall if there's a load on the trailer.

May be a bit of overkill, but 2-3 times a year I do longer trips towing the Jeep. I try to stop every 75-100 miles to check the tires and hubs for excessive heat.

Regardless inspect closely after 5 years.. its really easy to have OLD trailer tires and you dont realize how old they are.

Friend of mine had a blowout on a trailer a month or so ago. The tire's date code was 1995!

I think the current tires are 225/75/15. Not sure. I would not expect 15" wheels.
its possible load capacity of tire upto 2800-2900lb in that size.
No LT tires in that range. If you want to go LT tires would need new wheels too(unless I missed an oddball LT tire somewhere)
of course seems like it will be lightly loaded.. just remember most trailer tires have low speed rating
if the person driving has lead foot.

Last edited:
The Goodyear tires I have on my travel trailer are 225/75r-15 are E rated and take up to 80 psi. 28-2900 lbs load capacity each. Very good tire but expensive.
Also rated for 88 mph.

Goodyear endurance, largest size that won't rub .
Agree with the Goodyears but not sure + sizing is necessary to haul a couple of bikes. Most people pay no attention to their trailer tires until there's a problem. If your friend is good with maintainence and keeps them in shade or covered 5 years on something like Westlakes is probably okay. A trailer TPMS setup is money well spent. With a 20' trailer I bet she'll end up hauling more than her 2 motorcycles.

Last edited:
I was probably wrong about only carrying 2 big dressers. She could have bought something smaller.
I am still surprised the wheels are 15". I will double check...

I have Carlisle trailer tires on my 2014 36' TT that pulls @ 11K. I put them on in the spring of 2021 and have had good luck. I replaced the OEM tires because they were bulging and had some cracks from the Iowa weather. IMO, trailer tires seldom wear out, they dry rot and explode.

just my $0.02

In California our towing speed limit is 55 mph. I have had six travel trailers and use only ST tires with no blowouts since 1988. I keep my speed down to about 60 most of the time. LT tires are more popular with those who tow at high speeds.

Back