Track saw suggestions

I decided I need a track saw. Primary reason right now is I need to rip some 2 x lumber for a step replacement, but I likely will need to use it again in the future. I got rid of my table saw years ago - took up too much room, too hard to use alone, and I don't do much carpentry - just repair work mostly. So I obviosly don't need a great one, but I am kind of lost in the process.

First off - some people say the tracks are interchangeable - and some not. Anyone know for sure?

The cheapest out there is a Evolution, but I read its not really a track saw, just a skill saw they slapped some brackets on. Gets decent review still. Might be good enough for me?

WEN has one, gets terrible reviews.

Next up is Kreg, which is getting into real money - but they get kind of crappy reviews in some places as well.

After that its Makita, Festool, and Triton. They all seem pretty good reviews, but pretty expensive - got to pay to play I guess. Maybe I should pay once and cry once?

Anyone have any suggestions.

I want.to get a piece of.masonite with undamaged edge.
, free hand cut an edge, as best as possible..flip over factory edge and glue.
Perfect.straight edge to run saw along.

Even with my tablesaw, i liked to angle it a few degrees.downwards towards fence.so gravity assists keepingnit against fence.

A.piece of.masonite has two factory edges. One can make their own tracksaw.to.run their skill saw.inside.

Or.use good clamps and straight edges.
A.track saw is a tool.for a pro needing to make lots of perfect cuts, often..not a here and there repair.

I want.to get a piece of.masonite with undamaged edge.
, free hand cut an edge, as best as possible..flip over factory edge and glue.
Perfect.straight edge to run saw along.

Even with my tablesaw, i liked to angle it a few degrees.downwards towards fence.so gravity assists keepingnit against fence.

A.piece of.masonite has two factory edges. One can make their own tracksaw.to.run their skill saw.inside.

Or.use good clamps and straight edges.
A.track saw is a tool.for a pro needing to make lots of perfect cuts, often..not a here and there repair.
I tried the clamps and straight edge. I had trouble keeping the saw against the edge and not binding the blade.

I have lots of "pro" mechanics tools for here and there repairs, why should this be any different.

$$.
BLade binding is either saw foot not parallel to blade, or straight edge not remaining straight as you push saw foot edge against it.
Saw foot walking away from.straight edge, is user error, perhaps with saw foot not parallel to blade, too.

I have a festool track saw. Like it, don’t use it as much as I thought. I think maybe the makita and festool can interchange tracks iirc.

I paid $$ for festool because their dust collection is the best, and often I cut wood in my basement which has a lot of other stuff in it, and I don’t want a giant sawdust mess. So I was willing to pay a premium for cleanliness. If that’s not as big a deal I’d go with a makita without thinking twice.

Why not just use an edge guide on a circular saw. Place lumber on a 4x8 foam board and just cut through.

$$.
BLade binding is either saw foot not parallel to blade, or straight edge not remaining straight as you push saw foot edge against it.
Saw foot walking away from.straight edge, is user error, perhaps with saw foot not parallel to blade, too.
Yes, I am certain its mostly user error. By the time I see through my glasses and then safety goggles, my 50 year old eyes aren't that great. Could be slightly the saw blade not parallel with the foot. My skill saw is fairly old and was el cheapo when I bought it years ago.

So if I need to buy a new skill saw to begin with why not buy a track saw that solves my other problem - lock it down and go.

I decided I need a track saw. Primary reason right now is I need to rip some 2 x lumber for a step replacement, but I likely will need to use it again in the future. I got rid of my table saw years ago - took up too much room, too hard to use alone, and I don't do much carpentry - just repair work mostly. So I obviosly don't need a great one, but I am kind of lost in the process.

First off - some people say the tracks are interchangeable - and some not. Anyone know for sure?

The cheapest out there is a Evolution, but I read its not really a track saw, just a skill saw they slapped some brackets on. Gets decent review still. Might be good enough for me?

WEN has one, gets terrible reviews.

Next up is Kreg, which is getting into real money - but they get kind of crappy reviews in some places as well.

After that its Makita, Festool, and Triton. They all seem pretty good reviews, but pretty expensive - got to pay to play I guess. Maybe I should pay once and cry once?

Anyone have any suggestions.
I have some experience with the festool track saw and its is great,,,,,,,,,buy once cry once.

Back